Marzocchi lower leg swap

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I've bought a couple of 2002 forks, both with known issues that I'm hoping to make a good set from. I thought this would be straightforward, but there are differences in the forks that are now making me doubt if I can do this. Here's what I know so far:

- one is a z1 drop off coil
- one is a z4 air/coil
- both have the same diameter stanchions
- both have the same length lower legs
- z1s appear to have a cap covering the hole in the lower leg, on top of which the adjusters sit
- z4s have the lower leg hole/recess exposed and the bolts are a fair way up/inside

So can I transplant the z1 lowers to the z4s? If so, how do I go about it?

I'm also missing the air caps from the top of the z4s so need some. I'm hoping to end up with the z4s as they have a longer steerer and better stanchions, but the lower leg disc tabs are broken and I'm sure they could do with a service (which again I know nothing about but willing to learn).

Any help gratefully received on the procedures, and parts needed. I've not worked on marzocchi forks before, but keen to give it a go if it is possible.

Cheers

Attachments

• 2017-10-23 23.00.09.jpg
    2017-10-23 23.00.09.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 632
Re:

I'm afraid I don't have the answer you're looking for, but I was wondering if you might end up with spare uppers when you've made a good set of forks? I'm after a set of uppers than I can press the steerer out of to have a longer steerer on my Z1 Drop-off fork, as some moron has cut it down to 160mm, which is too short for almost any application.
TIA

Re:

I've not seen the lower of the drop offs, but if the fixing point of the rods into the lowers is lower down, then no. Travel will be the problem, it needs that room to take in the stanchions length.

Either way, let air out if there is any air. (Z4 are simple forks and the spring and air are pretty much the same. One had springs and blank top cap, the other had no spring and an air cap. )

Undo the bolts at the bottom and slide the legs off.

Have a look
Manuals are in Google search etc.
Probably a nice pictorial of similar to show what's happening inf and enduroseals.
They are really easy to service.

Are the Blue 'flylight' / Air or whatever they called them

Anyway
http://my-sport.spb.ru/manual_1/index-16.htm
http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id10.html

Re:

Thanks. I think the fixings are the same, there is just a cap and adjuster dial in the drop offs which can be removed with a screwdriver via a small hole in the lower legs. The project I had in mind has taken a new direction so might well be selling both forks now.

Re:

The steerer on the drop offs is not as long as it looks as it has a crack in it at the top. I think it will be about 170mm once the tube is cut down below the damage iirc. The reason I have both sets was to make use of the long steerer and air internals from one, with the undamaged lower legs from the other. I'd prefer to part with both sets in one go, £50 for both which is what I paid.

Back