Marzocchi fork 2002 - Any good?

AndrewMTB

Retro Newbie
Hello,

My first post here so let me introduce myself. My name is Andrew and I'm a fan of old bikes, I have few older bikes from 30's, but anyways right now I'm trying to build kind of MTB "retro" bike, just for recreational use, and sometimes for some heavier terrain (actually more XC bike). I'm looking for a fork from early 2000 that would suit my 28/29" frame. So I got this offer - Marzocchi marathon s fork, really old one at least 15 years old with "air spring". Seller told me it's a new fork, but with few scratches here and there caused by bad storage conditions. To me however it looks like the fork was in use already, correct me if I'm wrong, but I can see some scratches on upper fork tubes also. The asking price is 150 GBP. What are your thoughts? Taking into account that it's very old it should have some good service done even if it wasn't used at all, am I correct? Service parts for this fork won't be easy to get also I think. is it worth the price seller is asking for? Or should I pass on this offer?

Thanks!

P.S Maybe you have some other ideas? What fork from early 2000 designed for 28/29" would be better?

8zlmRV7.jpg

Bq1dGD1.jpg

Tby562y.jpg

WLnEdpj.jpg

Qv4zTbr.jpg

NVeJcC5.jpg

TK1OVoq.jpg

Welcome.

by "28/29" frame" what measurement are you talking about?

and 150 is a lot to pay for an old fork, you could get a lot better for less, take a look through the classifieds on this forum you will find qulity itmes for a lot less.

Agreed, sounds pricey. Marzocchi are probably the best for spares availability, generally they are also straighforward to service too, so on that front you should be OK.

Hey Rick,

Thanks for jumping in. By 28/29" I mean wheel size. This fork is for 28/29" wheel, not regular 26". I know it's old, and that's great :) As long as its working and have no signs of disqualifying damage. Actually, I'm looking for a fork that was designed for first 29ers. This one is one of them however, I'm not sure as to its wear and tear state so to speak... Can you see those scratches on upper tubes or it's just me? Also, what's your opinion on its state? BTW, thanks for pointing out classifieds, I will have a look for sure.

Hamster, cheers for your opinion. What do you think about those "scratches"? Are there any or it's just my view? I've asked seller about them, but need to wait till I get replay from him.

I guess that will he your limiting factor, most 'old' forks will be for 26 inch wheels, you will likely struggle to get 29 inch wheel stuff here but you never know. They just were not that common, plus most (not all) of the stuff on this site will be pre 2000.

Re:

You won't find any mtb specific suspension forks from the early 2000's. Maybe some awful hybrid forks but that's about it. Modern 29ers didn't really happen until about 5 years ago. Just to be clear, that Marzocchi fork is for 26" wheels.

Back