Cutting down a suspension seat post

dan28

Senior Retro Guru
I have a hard tail motorcycle an I m planning on fitting a vintage sprung bicycle seat using an off cut from an frame an a seatpost

It would be good if I could use a suspension. Seat post but the overall length of the post is only going to be around 6 inches

Is it possible to cut Down a suspension seat post they have a threaded bung in the bottom but I don't think the seat post has thread going all the way up inside it

A parallelogram suspension seat-post like a Cane Creek Thudbuster... no problem at all since the suspension part is in the upper linkage and the rest is just a tube. Telescopic ones might be challenging.

That threaded bung is to adjust the preload on the spring, which goes all the to the moving part near the top. Cutting anything off will leave you with an empty tube and a spring on the floor. There are plenty of vintage large sprung saddles about that are very comfortable and mount on a post like a bicycle and having ridden a 1926 Ariel for hundreds of miles at a time without pain

syncrosfan":181g2w12 said:
A parallelogram suspension seat-post like a Cane Creek Thudbuster... no problem at all since the suspension part is in the upper linkage and the rest is just a tube. Telescopic ones might be challenging.

does the thudbuster not have a spring inside

suntour make a similar looking post but theirs has a spring that moves the paralagrame

No, the Thudbuster uses a piece of elastomer foam in the linkage to provide the "springiness". The tubular part is just an empty tube, hence it can be cut.

Back