Cassette options

Making the leap from 9 to 10 speed on my modern-ish road bike, and I want to get the most benefit from that extra gear.
I currently run 52/36 with a 12/27 on the back, but I'm unsure what ratio to go for to make the most of 10 speed.
Keep the same and have closer steps? Swap to 11/28 but keep the unpleasant large jumps? Go down to 11/25 for something racy?
I don't particularly want a bailout gear, it just encourages me to ride slower than I need to, but at the same time a larger cassette lets me stay in the big ring for longer before plummeting to the 36t.
Any tips? personal preferences? My rear mech can handle up to a 28t sprocket.

Cheers guys

Re:

I have moved one of my MTBs to 1x11, best thing about it is the small jumps between gears. It means I am always at peak cadence, can't get enough of it to be honest. I have lost top and bottom ends but for me it really doesn't matter as they are used so infrequently.

My advice is if you are happy with your current range then keep to that and narrow the jump between gears.

Re:

Having only ridden MTB for years, I got an airnimal Joey for commuting and pimped it massively. Only having one cog up front and a road cassette at the back was quite a revelation in some ways, as it was easier to maintain speed due to the closer ratio gearing. So in short, I agree with the above.

Back