1999 orange clockwork seatpost

MarinMartin

Marin Fan
Just picked up a 10th anniversary orange clockwork cheap (well i thought £30 was cheap but it needs some work). Well upon investigation some donut has hacked the seatpost off and the bottom section is stuck halfway down the seattube.

Its not a problem as such as theres plenty of room for another seatpost at the right height for me but will it damage the frame being stuck inside like that?

Secondly what size seatpost does it take? As sods law I dont have any that fit.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1503429843504.jpg
    FB_IMG_1503429843504.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 659
Re:

I can't help with the size, but have you considered dissolving the old seatpost remnant out with caustic soda.

I don't think it will do any harm leaving it in there, but it would irk me, just knowing it's there.

Re:

Im a bit wary of chemicals purely because the frame is mint and dont want to risk any damage.

Orange website says 29.6 seat tube but then says 27.2+shim for seatpost :/ not heard of manufacturers using shims straight out of the factory.

Ive the 98 cataloge which states all seatposts `26.4mm shimmed to 29.6mm'.For the Clockwork

Im pretty sure with even just a ruler you could get an approximate. If it looks 30 its likely 29.6, if not possibly the 26.4 or 27.2 and thats easy to check because ill hazard a guess youve got a 27.2 about someplace. It too tight for the 27.2 chances are its the 26.4

That make sense :LOL:

The cataloge has these for the clockwork and P7 -26.4mm shimmed to 29.6mm
The others are as follows (for the archive) -
O2 - 31.6mm
E4 - 26.8mm
Vit T2 - 25.4mm shimmed to 28.2mm
X2 - 27.2mm shimmed to 30.1mm

Obviously these are the 1998 sizes but I would think they're good for a few years either side.

Re:

It's definitely not a 26.4 as the 27.2 I have is too small for it and the 30.9 I have is too big. The old one is completely butchered so difficult to get an accurate measurement. It's looking like I might just have to pay a tenner and get the shim. The ones I've found are thermoplastic though. Are they any good or should I try to raise more funds and get the metal ones? Coupled with needing to rebuild the rear wheel and replace the bottom bracket it's not quite the bargain I thought it was :facepalm:

Still trying to figure out how (and why) they cut it off and managed to get the other half stuck 6 inches down the seat tube. :roll:

Back