Restoration in the style of a Mills & Boon sex scene

Re: Re:

ishaw":2v2snxdh said:
Damn, there is no cap doffing emoticon.

Hats off sir, loving the 50 shades of spray ;)

50 Shades of Spray! MF I should've called it that, good work hah!

Re:

Omfg, this has just broken t'internet for me!

Cheap whore to classy broad transformation!

My mum used to read mills and boon, if only I had known! In fact no, I don't want to think about it.

mrkawasaki":xkhb5uj0 said:
Any chance of a step by step of your process and what types of paint you used?

Hi, yeah it's pretty straight forward; no point going into too much detail because the main issue is getting the hang of spray flow rate, which you'll only learn by trial and error anyway, so just dive in & give it a go. Type of paint was whatever the default spray is they sell in Halfords. Main thing is not to put too much on in one go because it ripples up if it's too thick and you have to wait for it to dry and then sand down again.

- Use coarse wet&dry to get it smooth as possible. It's worth using something to get the frame really proper clean before any spraying too - I used meths on a clean cloth to remove all the tiny bits of dust and any oily gunk
- Then coat in etch primer and allow a day to dry
- Then (as per the etch primer instructions), rub down the bad bits with medium wet&dry, and re-coat, and I used P38 on the bigger holes
- It's literally just a case of building up layers and leaving it a few days in between until you're happy with the finish, rubbing down with increasingly fine wet & dry. You can actually gently sand bits after half an hour of spraying, and re-spray there & then, so the process can go quite quickly at times
- wipe with a little meths between layers sometimes if it's very dusty from sanding
- The longer/more coats you do, the better the finish will be; as the layers build up thickness and you're sanding down, you can fill quite nasty scratches and dents to give a perfect finish if you're patient enough. You could do the whole lot with a single coat of primer and a coat or two of spray, but it won't be as good a finish as you could achieve, and any little scratch marks from sanding will show through, so depends what you're after
- Once I was happy with the finish I used a layer or two of alloy wheel spray lacquer
- Final thing is although it's 'dry' within a few days, it takes at least a week to be hard, BUT if I did it again, I'd leave it to really set for a month if I could. I left it for over a week before riding it, but a fortnight later I left it out in the sun on a boiling day and a few little bits got pressure marks on them where the bike was leaning gently against a fence, so it takes about a month for the paint to really set rock hard.

Back