noisy rear hubs

Re: Re:

tintin40":33ml8uf4 said:
ishaw":33ml8uf4 said:
To save you having to tape lolly sticks to your seat stays to sound cool.

those were the days :oops: :LOL:

Playing cards for me :LOL:

And i like the loud click from some hubs. Used to run hopes but prefered the noise of my ringle hubs when riding dh. A coulple of my xc bikes use hope but most end up with shimano. Im usually breathing too loud to notice the noise on xc bikes anyway :LOL:

Earlier hope hubs had more of a whirring noise id associate with the CK buzz than Hopes later more clacky sount. Certainly early bulbs sound more like CK.
Had a pair of CK and TBH I didnt like the noise.

Pro4 is really loud, might be the extra pawl or shell diameter causing an echo :?

Might be down to having a lot of grease on the ratchet ring, for muffling the sound i mean, but lots of grease is just weight and does nothing.
Anyone whose ever serviced machinery knows the vast majority of grease and oil in a centrifugal gear is flung to the side, and little actually lubricates. Lots of grease and its flung to the sides coating the ratchet, thus producing a muffled click.
I put a tiny blob at the back of each pawl where it pivots, and thats it

dyna-ti":20g3p3jh said:
Earlier hope hubs had more of a whirring noise id associate with the CK buzz than Hopes later more clacky sount. Certainly early bulbs sound more like CK.
Had a pair of CK and TBH I didnt like the noise.

Pro4 is really loud, might be the extra pawl or shell diameter causing an echo :?

Might be down to having a lot of grease on the ratchet ring, for muffling the sound i mean, but lots of grease is just weight and does nothing.
Anyone whose ever serviced machinery knows the vast majority of grease and oil in a centrifugal gear is flung to the side, and little actually lubricates. Lots of grease and its flung to the sides coating the ratchet, thus producing a muffled click.
I put a tiny blob at the back of each pawl where it pivots, and thats it

Will try that next time i fancy a service. :D

Back