noisy rear hubs

tintin40

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
98+ BoTM Winner
Klein Fan
Feedback
View
I was told just change the grease in the free hub body where the pawls and my Hope, Royce hubs will be a lot quieter. And they were. But now back to normal loud click click sound when not pedaling. My American Classic 210 was as silent as can be.
So why do some rear hubs make a loud click sound?

Personally the noisy hubs which I've used (Hope, Pinion and Chris King) really get my goat. :evil:
I want to roll quietly through the countryside, not frighten the wildlife...Far prefer the quiet ticking of an American Classic.

Just sourced a top quality completely silent sprag clutch hub from the states (in blue, not this horrible green) to get my new bike rolling silently at last:
MTB-R-088774-ISO-HG-142-12mm-thru-32-A-GN-NN-NN-PO-GN-GN-NN.jpg

Not cheap :shock: (or light) but very nice, and very niche. :cool:

All the best,

shimano made silent clutch hubs a while back. optional on mid 90s stx/lx. not gonna be much use on a 142:12 frame though

normally i would wonder what the diff was, but i got a ritchey wcs wheel recently that is stupid loud, sounds like an old freewheel blasted though iron maidens pa system.

i think its supposed to indicate build quality. just marketing junk as usual

danson67":34idipyv said:
Personally the noisy hubs which I've used (Hope, Pinion and Chris King) really get my goat. :evil:
I want to roll quietly through the countryside, not frighten the wildlife...Far prefer the quiet ticking of an American Classic.

Just sourced a top quality completely silent sprag clutch hub from the states (in blue, not this horrible green) to get my new bike rolling silently at last:
MTB-R-088774-ISO-HG-142-12mm-thru-32-A-GN-NN-NN-PO-GN-GN-NN.jpg

Not cheap :shock: (or light) but very nice, and very niche. :cool:

All the best,

Love that hub. Quite like green ano. :oops: My Royce isn't light either. For Carbon & ti it must have lead inside.

fattiman":23585q7r said:
i love the loud noise of a HUGI, the louder the better for me!

Completely agree.

I used to (still do) strip all the grease out of Hope hubs and replace with 5w-30 engine oil. (I found 10w-30 a little too noisy ;) ).

Back