Which are the better disc brake....

jimo746":fkpmok11 said:
ishaw":fkpmok11 said:
Thanks. I've also got a set of hope x2s as well. Which hope brake is better?

Do you prefer salted or unsalted butter?
Tough question, probably unsalted as you can always sprinkle on a bit of salt when needed :D

I think ultimately I suffer from a syndrome that results in me buying things I don't need, hoarding them and when the time comes there is a use for something, I'm what's known as indecisive.

Times are a changing however. The time for hoarding is over, just want to decide on the best set to keep for the build and start to clear out the excess of hoarded trinkets so they are used as intended and not gathering dust.

I seem to recall the v series needing a specific rotor at one end for some reason, am I right? Along with the aforementioned affliction, my memory/knowledge of disc brakes is minimal aside from what I have actually used in the past (hope race and formula rx somethings).

Re:

I believe they use a slightly thicker rotor than normal.
Plus you can get fully vented rotors as well :cool:

But if you don't have the rotors I'd probably opt for the X2's.

I think I do have the rotors. The build will never see any downhill use so maybe the v series are overkill?

On the subject of salt , and i reckon my opinion is already know on which :LOL: I must confess that Hopes calipers ,the alloy at least, is prone to corrosion.

I've seen too many with the underside in horrid flaking condition to think it was anything other than a few. Not sure if its the ano or just poor quality corrosion resistance versus rigidity in the design :? but whatever it is, if you dont wipe them dry and look after them religiously, theyre going to start crumbling.

I add that I've seen them flake on the silver ano. I cannot say on colours.

Hi, brakes are a personal choice, in my opinion. The one's and the v series are very powerful brakes, designed with larger resevoirs, pistons and pad surface/contact area. The x series is a smaller lighter version. All will stop you easily :) personally i prefer hope over formulas, offering me better modulation and being generally better/nicer quality. If you have them all then you should try them all and see which one feels the best suited to your riding needs. On an sts i would probably run the x2's as they are lighter, you can always use larger discs if you want more stopping power. On my downhill bikes i used to run hope and shimano, but, once i had tried avid and xo i always speced them. Again, its down to personal choice, i prefer the instant shift of sram over shimano when attacking a course but all my xc bikes use smoother xtr for a more relaxed ride, not helpful advice, but just thought i would share :facepalm: :D

Mark

Hope, easy, and your be able to get parts for years to come. I've used hope since DH4's And never had a problem beyond maitence. And have been able to get spare parts readily, for many years after the brake was made. Also they look stunning.
Of the ones you listed i'd get V4's, you can never have too much power, you can alwasy brake lighter. :)

Re:

I'd Use Formula over Hope all the time.
Excels it in terms of Power Modulation and weight. I been rolling mines on my RM7 WS for years without needing of service, and stopped me even when the pads got very contaminated, or with snow, mud and all kind of shitty arctic conditions.
p5pb14511347.jpg

Re:

Funny you should say that. I've got a set of Rx on my airnimal folding bike which I've not used for ages since getting a new job close to home. Just prior to this I had my lbs fit a new rear hose and bleed the brakes. They were working fine at that point but I've discovered the rear brake is practically locked on. What would be the cause/fix for this?

without having it in front of me, it's hard to give a diagnosis, but with all the brakes, no matter the brand I get for service, re-bleed, repair, I do full overhaul, to ensure my clients will get the brakes working like new.

Back