Ti disc rotor bolts coming loose

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I dusted off a bike the other day and took it for a spin. Noticed play in the brakes and thought I had the dreaded hope floating rotor issue. On closer inspection I found that the rotor bolts were loose. Odd, as they were tightened properly and used only once on a ride for a couple of hours.

What's the best way to ensure they stay tight?

Another of issue when inspecting was that there seemed to be a lot of liquid in between the rotor and hub. As the bike hadn't been ridden for at least 6 months and has been dry stored, I'm at a loss to explain that. Any ideas?

Ti bolts may have galled their way into the threaded hole in the hub. Feel tight, not enough end load though, soon as you start riding, the disc moves and the bolts start to back off.

Copper slip (or anti galling paste of choice).

Or maybe you didn't tighten them properly.

Liquid between disc and hub, no idea. Condensation behind incorrectly torqued bolts? Capillary action with your disc moving?

FWIW, i'd rather use three steel bolts than 6 titanium! (and i'd need at least 12 bolts to consider aluminium!)

Re:

Cheers, they were tightened down and copper slip was used. Most bolts come with loctite on the ends (or equivalent). Maybe I need to invest in some, or get some steel bolts. As bling as titanium is, a fair amount of stress goes into braking, and I don't want anything breaking.

Re:

I have Ti bolts in my rotors and would trust them more than steel or alloy! Call it bedding in...if you have to tighten them after every ride then I would worry...

Re:

Took them for a brief spin today and they are still tight. I'll keep an eye on them as I may be using the bike more over the summer. If they keep coming loose, then I'll dab some blue loctite on them.

Back