OMG Stolen Bike Turns up on Gumtree

:cool: always worth trying. Im glad it worked out for you and you now have it back.

That is good work there.

My mates brother had his Hardrock Sport stolen many moons ago. I have no idea how I tracked it down but it turned up at a house near where I lived and had been used to travel back to the very village it was stolen from. The lady riding it said 'I bloody knew it!' and started shouting at her son. He'd nicked it a few weeks previously and 'sold' it to his mother.

My own Zaskar, a Kilauea, bike parts and other stuff had all been nicked one night about a week after we'd had a new shed delivered - see the link there? Anyway, luckily it was all insured but one hell of a pisser. There was a lot of stuff but I was genuinely upset to lose me old Zaskar and Mag 21. The police had pics but I didnt hold out any hope, bike crime was off the scale at the time.

1 year later, I was allowed home early from work so I caught an earlier train. The missus collected me, again about an hour earlier than usual and as we were turning from home, a familiar looking bike came out of an alley near by. I was out of the car quick as a quick thing and had my grip on the top tube - nothing short of being knocked out would have stopped me. Luck was still with me, the 'owner' and his missus were to wastes of oxygen, both alcoholics and weak as kittens. We were across the road from the local Police station so I'd invited them over if they were gonna argue but all I got was a bit of whining about a pub and £40. I then heard a ''leave it it Wayne, I knew it was nicked when we got it''.

So I got me Zaskar back and made sure it never left my sight again.

Good ending.

Can't say I'm surprised the police wouldn't do anything - My parents have an ongoing "neighbour problem" that's involved (amongst other things) criminal damage and death threats, and the police have in their case effectively done worse than nothing - a stolen bike is very small potatoes in the grand scheme of things.

If she wouldn't accept some money, send the girl some flowers, at least.

tufty":2xeizuli said:
Good ending.

If she wouldn't accept some money, send the girl some flowers, at least.

Steal some from your local park or cemetery. ;)

Re:

Some amazing happy endings. I remember seeing a mid teen skin head riding around on my stolen yellow chopper back in the 70s. My parents just told me to forget about it in case i got gutted like a fish. He had a kitchen knife under the TT etc but you never forget.

Re:

Great you got it back and even better that it was done without having to go to any extremes.

Plod typically hopeless. If someone steals £150 worth of items from a shop its taken very seriously but all the scumbags know that police don't do anything about bikes/private owners so the free pass just makes them more of a target.

Out if interest what type of lock was used/what was it locked to?

Latest posts

Back