MTB wheel build OK with Hope Mono rear (road) hub?

reanimation

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
I'm not quite ready to do this but I have the 36h rims now...

I've not built many wheels, well any from scratch yet.
What am I missing? - Is it possible to use a 36h road rear hub such as this Hope Mono to build into a Mavic 26" rim (x517)?
https://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/prod ... S_Rear_Hub

My thinking is I have a Hope disc front available and a Hope rear for rim brake might be nice.
Thanks

I think the road hope rears are 130 instead of 135 mtb!?

Mark

mkone":1q4p10km said:
I think the road hope rears are 130 instead of 135 mtb!?

Mark

Thanks, that's the only thing I came up with. But I don't have modern road bikes so not sure what the spacing is now. I wonder if that's fixable with spacers or adaptors.

I'm not in a rush so maybe an old MTB stock hub or wheel will turn up but this seemed like a nice way to do it new off the shelf.

Re:

I wanted to do something similar. I bought some pro 3 road hubs which are spaced for road at 130 at the rear, but also bought a hope hub adapter to space to 135. I don't know much about the mono hubs but perhaps the same or equivalent adapter is available. Hope customer service is excellent and I'm sure they will be able to advise.

Re:

I don't believe so. Mine are still unbuilt at the moment but hadn't anticipated any problems.

Great. Thanks for your help. The rims I have are ceramic, so I might just stick with disc-less Shimano hubs this time and keep the retro feel (1997/8/9…) but maybe next time as I've a set of non ceramic too.

reanimation":2wz7y01f said:
Thanks ishaw, that's good advice. Otherwise spoke length and dish type things are no issue?

It's likely the road hubs which have the narrower oln will also have narrower flange spacing so the bracing angle of the spokes will be reduced slightly. Enough to makea measurable difference to the strength or rigidity of the wheel? Probably not.

IIRC it was just the length of the end cap/axle on the ones we had in the shop. (many years ago)

Newer ones may differ. Might be worth checking on one of the wheelbuilder/spoke calculators, or with Hope themselves.

Crap, just checked on leonardo.io and there are about 40 hope hubs listed.
You'll have to check the actual model you want.

Back