11 Speed chain durability.

cherrybomb

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Saw loads of broken ones at Mayhem :shock: Seriously- I lost count.

I'd been toying with going 11 speed on the modern mount but I think I'll stick with 1x10 for now.

Re:

Not had any issues with my 11 speed chain, due replacement soon after about 1500 miles so far, probably give it a few hundred more before changing.

Not sure why there should be lots of issues with 11 speed? Chain care/ maintainence? Mechanical sympathy? (some folk have none and just mash the gears).

Has to be the issue of thinner, lighter = weaker :? Rather than user maintainence, given most entering these events are bike blinkered and look after their stuff.

This is indicitive to the industry. Do we need 11 speed ?. The industry would say so, but then theyre forever trying to come up with new 'latest' products to sell us.
Currently it's bigger wheels, which have their own set of problems, or tubeless this its myriad of issues, all with something available to make that job easier, or a list of add ons available to buy. Give it 5 years and we'll be back to tubes and 26".

I shudder to think whats going to happen when they set their sights fully on cogs. So far its just an inbuilt ratchet, cnc'd from a single block in bright and spiffing colours. What happens when they start trying to fit a smaller cog between two larger 1/2 way up :? In some bizzare system based purely on gear inches :shock:
Wil it work ? Who knows, who cares.....the public are paying for it.....

dyna-ti":1xllthb5 said:
Has to be the issue of thinner, lighter = weaker :?
Except the major players (shimano, campag and sram) are actually using a new material, with improved properties. So the ~10% loss in sideplate thickness should be more than offset by the 20% improvement in strength and "improvements" in fatigue and crack prop.
dyna-ti":1xllthb5 said:
Rather than user maintainence, given most entering these events are bike blinkered and look after their stuff.
Funny, having been to a good few of these events (both mayhem and other 6/12/24 hours) i've found a good percentage to not have the faintest idea what they are doing when it comes to maintenance. But then, i've usually been sat somewhere fixing broken bikes.

It's a very similar experience at the marathons i do now. I'm pretty slow these days, but the number of people on seriously top end kit who have suffered easily avoidable mechanicals is scary.

Naw, too thin.

The industry has been percenting us also for ages. Hope brakes for example have increased in power 15% on each model. and given we're likely now up to 200% more powerful than their original C2's :?
All this 'increased %' is advertising bumft.

7 speed chains were speced for 7000km. Just have a look at the specs of the 11speed chains... ;)

dyna-ti":1vsgpom4 said:
Has to be the issue of thinner, lighter = weaker :? Rather than user maintainence, given most entering these events are bike blinkered and look after their stuff.

This is indicitive to the industry. Do we need 11 speed ?. The industry would say so, but then theyre forever trying to come up with new 'latest' products to sell us.
Currently it's bigger wheels, which have their own set of problems, or tubeless this its myriad of issues, all with something available to make that job easier, or a list of add ons available to buy. Give it 5 years and we'll be back to tubes and 26".

I shudder to think whats going to happen when they set their sights fully on cogs. So far its just an inbuilt ratchet, cnc'd from a single block in bright and spiffing colours. What happens when they start trying to fit a smaller cog between two larger 1/2 way up :? In some bizzare system based purely on gear inches :shock:
Wil it work ? Who knows, who cares.....the public are paying for it.....

Agree totally.

Thias":25wfxlbo said:
7 speed chains were speced for 7000km.
Really? Where did you get this little nugget? Cos in the last 30 years i've never heard such a thing!

cherrybomb":flo10n8e said:
Saw loads of broken ones at Mayhem :shock: Seriously- I lost count.

I'd bet a lot of this was down to people re-using 11spd joining links that aren't designed to be reused.

FWIW I haven't seen a broken chain in years that wasn't caused by poor adjustment or a stick in the mech.

Re:

As a heavy user of the 11 speed set up...I would say I need to change chains every 2000miles in the dry and 1000 in the gloopy wet. I don't think they do last as long, but I get them at around £17 a pop for a Shimano XT one and have never snapped one!

Back