Scandium Kona's - lets see them

EXODUS

Dirt Disciple
I bought this 2012 Kula a while back and have been upgrading/adapting to my liking as and when funds allow.

Got to say I absolutely love the ride. Very snappy and responsive.

Anybody else riding a Scandium Kona?

1D06150B-9276-4847-BC21-C3FDE19DCDA8_zps5cjnskqo.jpg

Here's one I recently built up for my wife.
The highlights are probably:
1. Rock Shox SID World Cup forks with carbon crown & steerer
2. XTR wheels, v-brakes & rear mech
3. Easton carbon stem, bars & seatpost
4. It's got a cool bell !!

Re:

I also have a mint example of the first introduction of Scandium into the Kona range; the 2000 Explosif.

Here it is at the top of the Worcestershire Beacon taken on the day after I picked it up in May 2015 - looking as it was on the day that it left the shop 15 years earlier.

Worcs Beacon 310515 by Philip Mock, on Flickr

Edit: discontinuing with Photobucket

Pip.

Re: Re:

pipmeister":2sh0a57a said:
I also have a mint example of the first introduction of Scandium into the Kona range; the 2000 Explosif..

Always fancied trying one of these, not a fan of the paint scheme but I bet it's light and fast :) pretty rare too, especially in my size, and didn't they only make them for one year?

Mark

mkone":3qpp6dml said:
...... and didn't they only make them for one year?Mark

Hi Mark,

This version of the Explosif was made in 2000 and 2001. I would say that both years have identical frame specification, and are equally rare. The 2001 has the rather unique paint scheme with a different colour painted rear end.

Explosif_2001_20 by Philip Mock, on Flickr

Explosif_2001_23 by Philip Mock, on Flickr

Explosif_2001_16_3 by Philip Mock, on Flickr

eastonexplosif_4 by Philip Mock, on Flickr

Edit: Discontinuing with Photobucket

Pip.

pipmeister":2q50gs00 said:
mkone":2q50gs00 said:
...... and didn't they only make them for one year?Mark

Hi Mark,

This version of the Explosif was made in 2000 and 2001. I would say that both years have identical frame specification, and are equally rare. The 2001 has the rather unique paint scheme with a different colour painted rear end.

Pip.

Ah, cheers Pip, that's a nicer scheme, kind of reminds me of older Rockys. Looks my size too :)

Mark

Back