Fat Bike Forks

highlandsflyer

Retro Wizard
Feedback
View
So I have been riding a heavy fat bike a few weeks now and my first thoughts confirm that the major drawback is weight. Not for me really, but as with most bikes we have they get passed around.

I know the easy answer is probably best to start with a different frameset, but looking at two major weight saving areas, forks and wheels, there seems to be some wiggle room for a good deal of heft to be removed.

On One have put a carbon fork on the latest Fatty, and it is on discount right now at £130 odds! 650g should shave a good amount of weight off at a reasonable cost, especially as the original fork is mint and can go to Ebay.

The wheels on the latest one are much lighter, so perhaps that is where I could look next, they seem to be on discount too, but not sure what weight they save.

Anyone have a clue?

The On-One carbon Fatty fork is great; I have one on my Fatty. Saves a LOT of weight over the original steel fork! http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FOOOCFAT/on ... fatty-fork

HOWEVER---

It uses older standards which the fatbike world has moved away from since the Fatty came out almost 5 years ago.

1. The axle is 9mm x 135mm quick release. Most newer bikes use a thru axle.
2. The steerer is 1-1/8" straight; most newer bikes use a tapered steerer.
3. The disc brake mount uses rear brake spacing (how far the disk is away from the fork leg). Most newer forks use front disc spacing. You can check your current fork by trying to insert a normal rear (135mm) disc mtb wheel. If it fits, then your fork has the rear spacing. If the rotor isn't even close to the slot in the caliper, you probably have front spacing.

If the fork that you are replacing has a 1-1/8" straight steerer, 9mm x 135mm axle, and rear disc spacing then I'd recommend the fork wholeheartedly. If the standards don't match, look for something else.

The On One fork will fit the Fatty no problems. The standards may have moved on over the last few years but if your sticking with the fatty and the fork then all those things are available. I run a Pugsley with an offset front and it's 135 and a standard 1 1 /8th headset and there's no problem. The only thing to think about is if you want to go super light, with weight being the be all and end all, then I would just swap the On one out for a Beargrease or similar with carbon wheels. Though then your in a very different price league to the On One, it's horses for courses and depends what you want to do with it.
The Fatbike scene has a lot of testosterone and hype about having the latest and greatest and the niche changes every few months with some new standard or other, but as said, it all depends what you want to do with it. For me I am running my steel Pugsley with the old large Marge rims, running Nates with tubes and it's singlespeed, so it's not exactly going to win slimmer of the year ;) but it goes plenty of places others don't and still does the odd singlespeed race and Strathpuffer 24 hour.
If you message Brian (epicyclo) he is near you and has a lot of fatbike wheels, made up for the Pugs, Mukluk and his carbon machine. I know the rims vary but it might give you an idea to try them. I'm sure he'd be more than happy to help.

Jamie

Re:

Beargrease! Bit rich for my pockets!!!!

I guess the Fatty is cheap and cheerful, and despite being Alu should be fairly tough.

Dubious as to how much a change of frame could make a difference, if the geometry is already fine and the huge tyres surely negate any subtle differences.

I rode around on rigid Kleins with huge rubber back in the day, and managed to get a real comfy ride.

My idea is to get the lighter parts and then move to another frame if I feel that is the limitation.

My object of lust was the Pugsly, but someone pipped me to the last local one. So I am really drawn to a steel frame rather than lightness.

It is rather the reverse of 'normal' bikes, where the frame weight can make a huge starting difference.

Once I get rid of a few pounds I am sure I shall be out and about up Dunnet Head and such, as we are due to have several family holidays later in summer up there. A fat bike seems quite the thing to get up to our old peat banks!

Re:

Switching tyres can make a huge difference. iirc My Maxxis pair weigh over a kilo less than my floaters.

Re:

I am looking at the wheels and tyres as a priority. Not sure about the carbon fork, as I quite like the ride with the steel one.

Not that the ride has much in the way of subtlety..

Loving the 2x10 drivertrain, very sorted and a nice spread of ratios.

Hadn't realised the Floaters are so heavy, what are the Maxxis ones that are so much lighter?

The tyres all vary but depending on what your doing, while I would try and stay light, I would get something that has a good reputation and works where you want it to.
Lightness isn't the be all and end all with Fat bikes as you need tyres that grip in the places that the fatbike will now give you access to, just make sure they will work where you ride. Fatbikes are the new niche and the majority now get used in trail centres etc and most tyres that work there wont be that great up on the sheep trails round the highlands.
I haven't used the Maxxis but for muddy highland trails I use Nates or if it was going to be sand and a bit of hard pack or tarmac then I have run Larry's before. brian uses a few and has been using Jumbo Jims on a few rides.

Jamie

Back