This modern new fangled stuff....

Re:

Define 'springy'..... :LOL:

Yes, I would say there is a certain amount of give in that white spacer thing. There was nothing else fitted when it was on the bike from memory.

i guess technically elastomers are more spongey than springy. squidgy maybe? boingy?

well seems like problem solved, just remember its taperlock and dont do the bolt up too tight

RESPOND
Designed for DH/AM riders seeking big hit performance at an All Mountain weight and a beer budget cost

i think their idea of beer money might be a bit different to yours :)

Re:

Shimano bb will probably have been used as it'll have been cheaper (and arguably more reliable) than a RaceFace unit.

My preference is for cranks where I adjust the preload and lock the arm to the spindle via pinch bolts (i.e. Hollowtech2) but I have GXP on a couple bikes where the crankbolt seems to do both jobs and find them to work well too. I'm not a fan of leaving preload to a spring/elastomer and I have heard and read a lot about RaceFace setups going through bottom brackets, being difficult to adjust etc.

YMMV.

Re:

Thanks for all the advice guys, starting to think there was a reason I preferred the simplicity of retro LX..... :LOL:

Perhaps I'll just whack it on eBay next time they're doing me a discount on fees!

Got some RF cranks that are similar, pretty simple to set up, just found I needed a bit of loctite on the locking bolt to stop them loosening, but otherwise probably the simplest cranks i've ever installed.
Have a few of the shimano style (XT, LX, Ultegra, control tech), also retty simple just 1 more step in the process (preload then clinch).

I have the scars to prove square taper BBs were not up to task. Cartridge BBs with large splined axles were not quite a spectacular failure, but close, you just can't get a decent bearing in there. So here we are at outboard bearings, and they're great.

Hollowtech approach is very nice in theory, but I am not convinced by the longevity of the external bearing setup. I've had the old square taper cartridge BB last more than half a decade, while most external systems have struggled to last a year. I do now have Hope external BBs on most of my bikes, and they seem to be lasting OK though.

Re:

In defence of the modern stuff they tend to get stuck not as often, you can use the same one on either 68 or 73mm, marginally easier to fit/remove and you can just replace one side at a time.

Back