Scott Scale 710 +

Re:

Ok, so after this mornings ride on one Scott,

InstagramCapture_8aa8a7ef-d1f9-4e9d-aa98-926d72303008 by Mike Murray, on Flickr

I tried out the titled one this afternoon.

So here it is,

WP_20170429_15_53_08_Selfie(1) by Mike Murray, on Flickr

Assembled with around 30 other riders, we rode up the first long, draggy climb. Despite the bulky look, this bike felt really light, especially at the front.

Had to resist the urge to change gear at the front, despite the temptation!

WP_20170429_15_53_36_Pro by Mike Murray, on Flickr

The levers are actually fork lock out levers!

Generally, you felt like you could get away with riding anywhere, so much suspension and grip. I went off piste on one occasion, to see how it coped on rough ground. Just ate it up!
The pace was generally slow, so I was riding with the leader for most of the ride, Until a demo e-bike came past on a long climb. Expecting this, I latched onto the wheel, and held it all the way up. Hoping to get past near the top, I pulled alongside but ran out of puff. I did beat three other e-bikes up there though, so was pleased with that! Not trying to show off, just wanted to get a feel of what it would feel like to race it.

The long descent was fun, loose gravel, fast, not technical, but I did run out of gears. Didn't look to see what the gearing was, but this is it!

WP_20170429_15_53_59_Pro by Mike Murray, on Flickr

Overall, I liked it, light at the front end, loads of grip, plush suspension too. With a longer stem and narrower bars, it would feel great, I think. Also, with the option of narrow tyres/wheels for racing, maybe.

Oh, and lose the dropper post that I never activated! :LOL: :LOL:

I don't have, or could justify, £2.3k on one, though. Nice to get a feel of what modern bikes are about nevertheless.

Mike

Re:

...brakes that worked too I bet! See these modern bikes are not so bad. It will probably been fitted with a 30T or 32T front ring and you can get single rings upto 38 or more I am sure.

Thought you might like it!

Sram's 1x drivetrain performs way better than shimano' 1x set up

If you like 650+ then look at the more palatable price of the Merida big trail 600, £1300 for one hell of a fun bike

Re:

Actually, I'm looking at stuff on eBay right now, shhhhhhh!

It's a totally different world for me, tbh.

Big tyres, tubeless, you can run them with tubes? Will rims/tyres allow that?
1x 2x as well!

Also looking at, gulp, 29ers again.

Wait for it!

A very helpful retro/mod biker is sharing his knowledge of the pros and cons of this new world with me.
Much appreciated Doug! ;)

Mike

You can run any tubeless set up with tubes

1x is the way to go, less weight, more mud clearance and with the right ratio cassette and chainring you really don't lose much in the way of gear ratios

I'm working in the trade at a bike shop (Louth cycle centre) with a race team doing well on the scale 650+ bikes with 1x set ups so if you need any more help feel feee to ask

Back