This modern new fangled stuff....

LikeClockwork

Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
....what's the theory behind it?

I've just taken this set up off a bike, 68mm shell, and am trying to work out how you tension the bearings, etc. I probably won't reuse it, it is in fact for sale, but I'm intrigued as to the theory in case it does end up being used on something. The non-drive side crank doesn't have a bolt holding it on....?

Excuse my thickness :LOL:

Attachments

• Duke SL, RaceFace etc 021.JPG
    Duke SL, RaceFace etc 021.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 1,275
  • Duke SL, RaceFace etc 018.JPG
    Duke SL, RaceFace etc 018.JPG
    86.7 KB · Views: 1,275
legrandefromage":380th3y6 said:
Some's spilt paint on the cranks btw...

:LOL: :LOL:

Ah right, thanks, that's kind of what I figured but googling it, there's a few similar systems around, hollowtech etc, lots of different brand names for a similar set up I presume.

Re:

pretty sure that design should use a spring washer to do the tension. teh ahead-like designs would have the axle built into the drive side and teh other arm clamped on after pretensioning. imo they should just use a pipe like on bmx cranks, impossible to sideload teh bearings with a pipe

Re: Re:

catf":w0kc9r8m said:
pretty sure that design should use a spring washer to do the tension. teh ahead-like designs would have the axle built into the drive side and teh other arm clamped on after pretensioning. imo they should just use a pipe like on bmx cranks, impossible to sideload teh bearings with a pipe

There are no spring washers. Never have been either. Think 'Ahead' and you'll get it.

5202637062_bc10cc0a55_b.jpg

6984cb9cfbb128941e2d33516cbbc26f.jpg

Re:

Not sure if the same as yours but I had a similar set to that and they used a special tool to pre-tension the cranks before tightening them. Think they were hollowtech actually. tightened them from the non driveside.

Attachments

• tool.jpg
    tool.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 1,238
Re: Re:

legrandefromage":3hd5d6px said:
catf":3hd5d6px said:

There are no spring washers. Never have been either. Think 'Ahead' and you'll get it.

5202637062_bc10cc0a55_b.jpg

6984cb9cfbb128941e2d33516cbbc26f.jpg

These diagrams refer to GXP (sram) and Hollowtech 2 (shimano) cranks. OP is about Raceface cranks which do infact use a preload elastomer (same idea as a spring washer) on the spindle.

361703d1211230579-race-face-x-type-bb-w-evolve-xc-crankset-deus-spacers.gif

Re:

Just taken these extra picks, as I'm still confused!! :LOL:

For reference, I took them off a bike I split, they came fitted with the BB in the background, a Shimano item. Starting to wonder whether to use them now, so really want to get my head around how to set them up properly. Mind you, I've just seen what the cost new :shock:

Attachments

• Respond cranks 003.JPG
    Respond cranks 003.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 1,212
  • Respond cranks 002.JPG
    Respond cranks 002.JPG
    30.9 KB · Views: 1,212
  • Respond cranks 001.JPG
    Respond cranks 001.JPG
    33.4 KB · Views: 1,212
Re:

looks like that thing on the nondrive side where the axle meets the arm is teh tensioner, give it a poke to see if its springy. if so they should just slide into the bb and you can use the bolt to attach the driveside like isis/octalink

point was all the crank pics on this thread are taperlock, which need something springlike to do the tensioning, lgf referring to ahead was just confusing things cos he was talking about ht2 and some others that use a preloading bolt, like an ahead top cap, and an arm that clamps on the axle with pinch bolts, like an ahead stem. that tool in the pic is for the preload bolt on ht2 cranks, allen key does the same job

Back