Sticking on Carbon Frame protectors

daveyla

Retrobike Rider
Feature Bike
BoTM Winner
Pace Fan
I've a problem applying a carbonfibre frame protection patch. Even though I've cleaned the frame first it is not sticking flat to the frame

Has anyone got an idea of an appropriate adhesive I could use that wouldn't damage the paint below should I wish to remove it again in the future?

Many Thanks In Advance

Whats wrong with the transparent helicopter tape? I use that. It may be the carbon fibre patch is not as flexible so it lifts?

Id suggest using 3m double sided sticky tape rather than risking damage to carbon frame with glue.

Sorry I should have clarified they are Pace Carbon patches to an aluminium frame

Good suggestion with the 3m double sided tape, I appreciate it

Re:

I've used the pace ones in the past and had the same issue. Making sure they are warm before applying helps.....but personally I wouldn't buy them again, don't rate them.

I now use lizardskins or I've used something similar to this and had no issues. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201870974944

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

The pace ones are thick and not too good at sticking to contours. I've found using carbon protection sheets/kits from eBay pretty good. Quite thin yet strong, and as thin, they are easy fitted over welds and on curved tubes. I bought mine ages ago and still have a bit left but I'm sure it's still available. Heating it with a hair dryer helps soften it to fit tricky places too.

Back