Rate my geometry- muni mula fork travel??

rugbyleaguebiker

Old School Hero
Recently built this up with bargain parts, but the ride doesn't seem as exciting and nimble as i expected and i feel a bit like i'm sat on a penny farthing. Are 100mm forks too high for this frame, should i change them or flip/slam the stem see what that does?

Attachments

• IMG_0787.JPG
    IMG_0787.JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 839
Re:

Doesn't look much different to my Trek with 100mm forks and that's completely standard. I love the way mine handles, obviously not as nimble as my 26ers but can really throw it into anything.

Attachments

• 17 oct 16.jpg
    17 oct 16.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 776
Kona sold frames of that geometry with 100mm forks, but generally with a riser for a more "upright" feel

Re:

A good tip for correct geometry for any bike is to ensure that there is a drop in height from the rear axle to the bottom bracket.

If you look at a more detailed bike frame geometry chart, it will document this drop in height – see measurement "E" in the diagram below. Without this drop, the bike will have the sluggish feel that you describe.

The 1999 Muni Mula would have been originally fitted with the Z4 Marzocchi fork that were around 450mm Axle to Crown. This would give the drop in height along the chain stay from axle to bottom bracket that is vital for nippy handling. You'll notice that with the current forks fitted, your bike doesn't have this feature.

Pip.

Attachments

• Geometry.jpg
    Geometry.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 731
Re:

That is an excellent response, this is a 98 version and of the smalles size, I reckon a shorter fork is required, I think I have an 80mn travel rock shox judy in my shed, will put that on then see how it feels before putting money into something expensive. Thanks

Take side photo of bike so that wheels are level then youll see how much drop.

In original photo rear wheel is highrt than front.

Back