Good, chunky, heavy duty 26" tyres?

LittleSkink

Retro Guru
Been looking for some low cost 2.3+" tyres and come across On One Chunky Monkey 26 x 2.4"

Anyone know how tough they really are? Max load / pressures?

Would be putting them on a lightweight Tandem on gentle trails with my young daughter on the back, so if you would trust these for DH etc then they should be up to the job

If not these tyres - what else might there be out there?

Go monkey! I probably weigh as much as both of you. All good here. These are in 29 sir.

pretty bike! thanks history man

Chunky Monkey tyres seem tough (and cheap!) but whenever you mention the word "tandem" folks seem to panic or figure that adding a second pedaller magically makes the thing less safe or something

We reckon to be about 120Kg all up (though that will rise in time I guess) and run discs so not cooking the tyre side walls

On my Dawes tandem I've run Onza Rip & Rail, WTB Velocraptor, Geax Revert, Panaracer Fire XC Pro, Specialized Hemisphere. All are fine. As you say there is no magical difference about tandems.

The only thing I check is the quality of the carcass - specifically the max. pressure as 60psi can be necessary when loaded. The Dawes is a bit tight on clearance at the back and I have had to shave the side knobs on the Velociraptors.

Well I picked up the Chunky Monkeys and some Panaracer 2.2/2.5 tubes yesterday and put a few on/off road miles on them in the afternoon - impressed :)

Well made tyres, they went on easily and tweaked to run perfectly without issue. Started at 60PSI (their max and too much), was quickly dropped to 50. If nothing bad happens may yet go a little lower. Can have one rider climbing out of the saddle without undue squirming, the stoker is still complaining when we hit roots and hard edge bumps without warning though . . .

Clearance at the back as 3 or 4mm, so tight but no need to take a scalpel to them. Cracking deal for an off road Tandem at £15 each (£18 inc the fat tubes)

We run with a Post Moderne suspension post for the stoker, it helps take the sting out of surprise hits.

hamster":3ha2ptco said:
We run with a Post Moderne suspension post for the stoker, it helps take the sting out of surprise hits.

thanks hamster, the bike has a no name suspension post on the rear currently but it seems marginal in effect - been exploring other options but the price goes up fast from the basic £25 ones to £100+ for a Thudbuster/USE, unsure of a mid price one would be any better than we have - so we are working on better comms for now

Back