Stuck seatpost, rusted in! Advice needed.

trxrincon

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Hey, I was given a bike that has a stuck seat post. it's only a universal bike but I like the challenge! It's been out in all weathers and the seatpost is rusted solid. I've started with the gt85 but it doesn't seem to be helping. Can anyone advise other than throwing the bike in a skip, how to get the post out? Cheers Rob

there are some posts that can be fitted over the top to give a very tight fit,you really need to put on some decent super glue too,over time you may even find the seized post can free up from regular use,the fsa slk carbon post has a 27mm inside diameter.

Forget gt85 and wd40. You need to use plusgas for this but im guessing universal brand it is bso so steel post in steel frame, if that is correct, i doubt it will shift easily, most likely you will need to cut the post out.

Sorry I've not replied sooner, I'm guessing it's steel post in steel frame. 02, yeah it's the Universal brand so yup a BSO! I'm starting to think I might just take the bits off it I could maybe use, tyres, tubes pedals, then just bin it!

Re:

When i worked in a bike shop the most success with stuck posts was plusgas overnight with the bike upside down and sprayed from the bb up the seat tube. Then it was a case of big vice on a solid bench to hold the seatpost with the bike upside down and use the frame as leverage to wiggle it free.

Obv it knackers the seatpost but normally its the frame you are trying to save.

Back