Redishing a rear wheel help

Re:

Cheers for the replies. There is definitely slight fore/aft movement of the mech hanger, not a huge amount, but if I loosely fit the QR, I can still move it. With the QR tightened properly it doesn't budge by hand, but perhaps under pedal power it could move. I've ordered a new one, so I'll see if that makes a difference. I'll report back once it arrives. The one fitted is original, maybe it's worn? I hope it's not the frame of course, but it doesn't look to be by eye.

Have you got a better pic of the dropout, it looks like the spindle has been moving around.
What is the fit of a 10mm rod like in the drop out?
I had a frame which the spindle had been moving around. I put a cap over the axle and got rid of the
titanium skewers infavor of some steel shimano ones and it stopped it.
If the dropout won't tighten it sounds like you have come to the end of the thread!

integerspin":2h5zz2s1 said:
.......If the dropout won't tighten it sounds like you have come to the end of the thread!

I reckon this is the cause of the problem too.

Ian, Is your Gear Hanger Bolt similar to a Chain Ring Bolt, and has it bottomed out on the "nut" part on the inside of the Dropout?

See example of similar:

Pip.

Attachments

• Kula Dropouts_NDS.jpg
    Kula Dropouts_NDS.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 644
  • Kula Dropouts_DS.jpg
    Kula Dropouts_DS.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 644
Re:

It's probably not helped by using a tyre on the limit of the width.
A bike for the road? As if that was used offroad, at least around here, you'll rip the paint of the inside of the stays.

Give FELT a ring, they'll know all about it and should know of any flaws and should be able to get a fix for you.

Yes if that dropout hanger move (rotates) slighty forward, it'll do what you say and knock the tyre to the none drive chainstays, and you'll not notice much on seatstay.

Yes, same type of bolt arrangement as a chain ring, and it hits the end/bottoms out before fully tight.

It's not a road bike, but yes, tyre is on the limit. It's not the tyre I'm going to use, going to fit a 2.1, just wanted to get it partially built to store easily and that's when I noticed the issue. I think the previous owner had it as there is some evidence of tyre buzz on the non drive side stay.

Re:

If you're using a smaller tyre,if ore it, I've seen more movement from the pebble in tyres :)

(Though contact felt still)

ishaw":17hu8i9v said:
Yes, same type of bolt arrangement as a chain ring, and it hits the end/bottoms out before fu
So just shave (file) a bit off the end off the male part of the bolt and all should be good. Its possible the original bolt was lost and it was replaced with a double, instead of single chain ring bolt, which is too long

Even with a 2" tyre that'll be pretty close clearance and will jam up on a muddy ride

I've got a new bolt set on order too, but it definitely looks like a single rather than a double.

Stock tyre was a 2.1, but I agree clearance looks less than ideal. It's just going to be a bit of an experiment into the world of modern wheel sizes, and will only see light use in the summer months so it should be ok for that.

Re:

New bits now fitted.with the bolt loosely tightened, still a little bit I've movement in the hanger, but less than the old one. Once fully tightened up, it doesn't move at all, and with the wheel QR tightened I'm assuming it's not going to to budge, would I be right? Pic of the 'gap' between hanger and frame below.

The old hanger does have some wear from the axle so hopefully the new one has solved the problems.

Any thoughts on whether I can now forget this and move on with the rest of the build, or should I still have concerns?

Attachments

• 2017-02-28 09.05.22.jpg
    2017-02-28 09.05.22.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 557
  • 2017-02-28 09.04.59.jpg
    2017-02-28 09.04.59.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 557
Back