Redishing a rear wheel help

Re:

I've had a bit of time to investigate further. I've flipped the wheel and it sat more centrally at the wishbone, so flipped it back and it now seems to sit better at this point. It is however out on the lower stays. I've had a look and it seems as though the mech hanger moves slightly. When it's tight against the seat stay, the wheel does seem to be straight, but when the mech hanger is moved forward slightly, the wheel seems to move slightly to the left as you look at the bike from the rear.

I've attached a few pics.

So, my thinking is to simply tighten the mech hanger bolt so it sits against the seat stay, but does this suggest a new mech hanger is needed or just point to a loose bolt?

Attachments

• 2017-02-22 14.46.10.jpg
    2017-02-22 14.46.10.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 494
  • 2017-02-22 14.46.43.jpg
    2017-02-22 14.46.43.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 494
  • 2017-02-22 14.46.59.jpg
    2017-02-22 14.46.59.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 494
  • 2017-02-22 14.47.12.jpg
    2017-02-22 14.47.12.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 494
  • 2017-02-22 14.47.26.jpg
    2017-02-22 14.47.26.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 494
Not following this. Mech hanger should not make any difference, if its moving then bolt needs to be done up.

Measure distance from rim not tyre.

02gf74":3jpcoaxs said:
Not following this. Mech hanger should not make any difference, if its moving then bolt needs to be done up.

Measure distance from rim not tyre.
But it is, if it wasn't I wouldn't be mentioning it. Any useful input?

The mech hanger moving is actually quite a logical cause when you think about it. As it forms part of the drop out, it needs to sit straight to allow the axle to do the same. If it is pushed forward, the axle will be pushed forward slightly in the right, resulting in the wheel sitting slightly diagonal and therefore more to the left.

Tightening it to prevent it moving could well be the solution, just wondering if it needs replacing or not, hence a few pics just to be sure that's all.

If it's been loose for any amount of time it may have worn the drop out.
Get the hanger off and have a look. If it has worn, you may need to use something to pack out/fix the hanger in position. Something as simple as threadlock *should* be enough. If the QR is done up properly.
Also see if it moves with just the bolt tightened.

And never ever try and dish or true a wheel with the tyre on. That's reserved for the extremely experienced, or the ridiculously lazy. Or those who don't give a shit.

mattr":31ia69st said:
If it's been loose for any amount of time it may have worn the drop out.
Get the hanger off and have a look. If it has worn, you may need to use something to pack out/fix the hanger in position. Something as simple as threadlock *should* be enough. If the QR is done up properly.
Also see if it moves with just the bolt tightened.

And never ever try and dish or true a wheel with the tyre on. That's reserved for the extremely experienced, or the ridiculously lazy. Or those who don't give a shit.
Cheers. I'd never true or dish a wheel with a tyre on, unless it just needed a small tweak, I'd put it in the jig for that.

ishaw":1rkud9gk said:
The mech hanger moving is actually quite a logical cause when you think about it. As it forms part of the drop out, it needs to sit straight to allow the axle to do the same. If it is pushed forward, the axle will be pushed forward slightly in the right, resulting in the wheel sitting slightly diagonal and therefore more to the left.

Strange ... but I've never noticed the hanger moving on any bike I've owned, and that is probably over 30.

Re:

I must admit, a new one for me too, and I've owned a considerable number myself. There seems to be a flaw with the nut/bolt that holds it on, as I can only tighten it so far before the bolt thread will go no further into the nut. I've managed to get it tighter than it was before, and with the QR tightened it doesn't move, but I'm not sure I trust it so will be trying to source a new one.

I've no local bike shop that stocks felt bikes so anyone know of a good source of mech hangers?

Re:

What does the drop out look like without the mech hanger Ian?

I ask because going by the photos it looks like there is a possibility for movement when the QR is tightened. There looks to be at least two distinct 'marks' where the QR has bitten into the hanger which suggests that something is moving when everything is tightened. the question is- is it the wheel moving forward or back in the dropout or the hanger moving? The fact that the wheel is potentially off centre in relation to the stays tends to suggest it could be the former.

I'd guess there is a drop out on the frame to locate the wheel, but this may not have as tight a tolerance as the hanger which means if the hanger is worn/damaged then the wheel can be located in different positions in the 'loose' drop out.

I think I'd try a new hanger. You should be able to get one easily enough on ebay.

Re:

Just fixing the bolt won't fix it. When you pedal the forces will pull on the drive side and move the hanger out of position again. The hanger should be in a fixed position, not moving. I saw this on a couple of cheaper frames but never on a quality frame like you have there. I'd send Felt a short message and see what they say.

Latest posts

Back