Charge Splashback 1.8" tyres quick review

Got these on my Lava Dome - getting the front one to run true was a job but once fitted satisfactorily I am happy with them for the money. Glad I did not opt for 2.1 - Wild Grippers are better on the dirt.

I rode my rigid Cindercone with a 1.8" on the front and 2.1" rear on Thursday offroad. Trails were dry and dusty in places and the tyres were great, absolutely flying! However, wet rocks were hard work and they clogged badly in gloopy mud. Having to ditch the 2.1" on the rear as when they clogged up I was struggling for clearance against the seat stays and chain stays. Nice looking tyres that suit my old Cindercone, however don't think I'd use them on my XTC or FSR.

Have you thought about running them the other way round 2.1 front and 1.8 rear :?:

There's that much difference between te 2.1 and the 1.8 in height as well as width I think I'm going to stick with a pair of 1.8's.

Re:

Just found this thread so thought i would add to it... i have a pair of 1.8" splashbacks at the moment, they roll really well but the sidewalls are very thin and are cracking after only a month. i guess this is why they are only £17.99 per pair

overall a good tyre for the short term, but i feel like they could have been made a lot better quality than they actually are

sean

Re:

i've been running these for two years as tubeless and only have to repressurise them four or five times :shock: i love them :D

I like them but IMHO they offer minimal grip in the really wet sloppy stuff. But that's not uncommon for a lot if tyres I've tried. They look ace and are good considering the cheap price

This is an old thread that i've happily stumbled across and the review is pretty promissing which is quite a relief seen as i'm getting a pair but just hope they don't pose much of an issue regards room between them and my bike stays n forks .

Holy thread resurrection, Batman! Rather than start a new thread, I thought I'd use this one.

I'm looking at a pair of 2.1 Splashbacks (used, as they don't seem to be available new anymore?) as a stop-gap until the wallet allows me to get the re-issue Smoke & Dart that I actually want. Does anyone happen to know if these will fit through a Magura brake booster and clear the chainstays/bb shell on a '94 Kona steel frame?

Back