Aaaaargh too long

tufty

Retro Guru
So, bought me a rigid steel fork for my Sunn. Made by Sobre. Asked him for the A-C distance, he said "410mm", I thought "yeah, I can live with that", so bought it. Turns out he'd measured to the bottom of the fork crown, it's actually 450mm A-C.

Lovely fork, but - well. Looks a bit long to me. What do you reckon (apart from "your iphone takes lousy photos")?

Y5J0PuL.jpg

Doesn't look that out of angle.. but me I would have wanted one with shorter a-c, there around 400mm like you said.. That would have looked better :)

Love the frame color *thumbs up*

Can you not measure the head tube angle to see how far out it is?

Doesnt look much out to me, how does it ride - that surely decides if fork is too long.

Re:

I think that looks ok. Does it feel ok to ride? You could flip the stem to get lower if you wanted to.

Mike

It's more a question of head angle. Don't have the bike here and haven't had a chance to ride it in anger with the fork (no brakes to hand), I'll have a shufty when I'm at work in a couple of days. Here's Matthieu's bike, with a Tange fork. Biggish drop on the head compared to mine.

dsc_0515.jpg

That said, according to the original Sunn docs, head angle should be 71°, I'm seeing 70° from the photo, shouldn't be too much of a change.

Re:

Look at that chain stay, everything is way too high.
It's not just the head but the seattube angle. Only a ride will say if it's comfy to pedal and you can get the right seat position,. Fork will just feel wrong for a while, shorter stem will make it feel better. But is the headtube strong enough (probably will be fine if you don't rag it it to rocks)

Back