shed

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
how many links shouls i have for a road bike 10 speed and double front
just got one and rear mech is quite tight at max

Quite tight or too tight?
Pictures?

And there's no standard length, just what comes in the box, 118 links iirc., which almost airways needs trimming. Sometimes get less (114 maybe?). But that should be long enough unless you are using dinner plate sprockets.

ill get pics tom when its on biggest on front and biggest on back the rear mech looks level to the chainstay

Usual way is to put chain on biggest chainring and largest sprocket without going thru rear mech and add 2 links. Did you do that?

Chains come in generally 112-118 link lengths, unless you have an extremely huge road frame, id have thought even the shortest 112 be ok, it is fs mtb which tend to need loinger chains.

The History Man":thquldcn said:
Didn't think you can join 10sp?
Given the right tools and parts (quick links, fat pins or funky campag tool IIRC)
02gf74":thquldcn said:
Usual way is to put chain on biggest chainring and largest sprocket without going thru rear mech and add 2 links. Did you do that?
Well, usual for MTB/triple, there are at least two other methods that i know of which *can* work better for road doubles. ;)

Re: Re:

Sketchyxup":14l5o6ii said:
The History Man":14l5o6ii said:
Then you can drop a length in. Didn't think you can join 10sp?

Without stating the obvious but how did you think you fitted a chain?

How do you extend one if you can't add links and trust it? You use two quick links and a bit of spare chain between them so you don't have to refit any pins that might fail. I repaired a damaged chain this way last year on tour.

Hope that helps. Unless you were being facetious?

Spot the quick links!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    62.4 KB · Views: 729
Back