mix and match hydraulic brakes

Re: Re:

mechanical_vandal":2tn122xv said:
I reckon you could run oil through a component designed for dot and vice versa without issue, especially with brand new components.
Very apt user name then. You can actually see the swelling of seals in the wrong fluid (they eventually split), or feel the changing hardness the other way round (they eventually turn to a soft mush).

FWIW the few times i've had to deal with people using the wrong oil (usually motorcyclists who just use the nearest brake fluid to top up or refill their shimano systems) the brakes are totally written off, mainly as you can't get replacement seals for shimano.

Filling the other way isn't so bad, most companies that use DOT will actually supply you with a rebuild kit.

You can get seals that work with both fluids but two problems, they are very very expensive and don't work very well.

^^^ that is what I hear. the plastic(?) tube in the brake hoses judging by the after market kits sold, seems to work with either brake fluid, tis the seals that have compatibility issues.

Yeah, the hoses are pretty much standard across the business, standard small bore reinforced hydraulic. The liner (polyamide of some description) is pretty tolerant to pretty much anything you could buy in the shops. And a lot of things you can't!

We use very similar stuff on some test rigs (maybe slightly larger bore). Probably buy about 10km at a time!

dyna-ti":2ny8k5b5 said:
Ive seen Hope open calipers matched to Hope closed system levers with Hopes own instructions warning never to mix the two. (on ebay)
Having not tried them I cant say how they would be but being a Hope purist I'd avoid any like the plague.

You can mix Hope Open and Closed systems, I've done it and all OK. The caliper internals are different between Open and Closed but the levers, Pro and Sport, differ only as to which reservoir cap is fitted. There are Open caps and there are Closed caps, fit the correct cap for caliper in use and no problem. So maybe not truly mixing systems as the levers are converted to same type as the caliper in use. :roll:

Re: shimano oil in Maguras?

Hi all..
I want to bleed my Magura HS33 rim brakes but can only get Shimano oil in my country of residence. Would this be ok?
This thread already seems to provide the answer that it’s possible.. but.. I want to be sure. Can someone here confirm with a very high degree of confidence that it’s ok? (Someone who has knowledge / expertise of the chemical properties of various oils for example). I don’t want to take silly risks with braking systems. Thx.

I seem to remember you could use washing up liquid with Magura but dont quote me!

I used to use my Hope levers with Grimeca and Formula calipers to great success.

Re: shimano oil in Maguras?

RadNomad":1j5zko3r said:
Hi all..
I want to bleed my Magura HS33 rim brakes but can only get Shimano oil in my country of residence. Would this be ok?
This thread already seems to provide the answer that it’s possible.. but.. I want to be sure. Can someone here confirm with a very high degree of confidence that it’s ok? (Someone who has knowledge / expertise of the chemical properties of various oils for example). I don’t want to take silly risks with braking systems. Thx.

Yes, it's fine. Also Citroen LHM oil (light hydraulic) is fine.

Re:

Tried magura clara levers with shimano caliper - terribly wooden - couldn't lock the wheel, no matter how hard i pulled.

Back