mix and match hydraulic brakes

catf

Retro Guru
i dodnt really know anything about hydraulic brakes, wondering what the practicalities are of mixing diff brands/models of calipers and levers?

specifically ive got some magura marta calipers and some shimano levers, would they work together at all? or is it just an obvious no-no?

I'm sure you could make it work.

Working well might be another matter though.

Each system will be designed to move a specific volume of fluid, unless those volumes match you might have problems.

Mixing different models within the same brand can even leave you with h satisfactory results.

Re:

I once mixed louise calipers with xt levers and it worked great!
Its called a frankenbrake and there are several threads about it on mtbr
Kes

Several compatibility issues:
1 Have to match fluid type as oil and DoT systems cannot be interchanged.
2 Bleeding and expansion can be handled differently and may not work together.
3 Leverage is related to the ratio of master and slave cylinder area and is critical to avoid too much or too little power. It's just like canti's and V.
4 Travel is also an issue if there is insufficient to take up pad wear or if leverages are poorly matched.
Fluid volume problems are the result of 3 and 4 being poorly matched.

What ^^^ said. Magura and shimano use mineral oil (ie NOT car brake fluid) so are compatible.

Re travel easiest is to measure calliper piston diameter(s) and im guessing if within 20% then should be ok.

Anyway which levers and callipers you plan to use?

Fyi. Im using magura marta calliper with shimano xt (the earlier ones with reservoir cover) for rear brake and they work fine but there is a bit more lever travel compared to full shimano set for the front.

thanks for the info guys, especially the fluid issue, i didnt even consider that. the v/canti comparison was the way i was thinking about it, some combos work fine, some dont work at all. my main concern really was them working but having too much pressure in the caliper, maybe blowing out seals and having a complete failure at a bad moment.

but as it goes the exact parts im looking at is mk1 marta calipers with the IS mounts built in, and (dont laugh) shimano alfine levers. i like the 4 finger blades. im pretty sure they are the same lever body as those original xt's, so if that combo works, this should too.

i guess the message is, bodge them up to see what happens, and take it easy for the first few rides. the bike they would be on is more of a street cruiser than dh missile, so they dont need to be pin sharp.

wish me luck :)

Ive seen Hope open calipers matched to Hope closed system levers with Hopes own instructions warning never to mix the two. (on ebay)
Having not tried them I cant say how they would be but being a Hope purist I'd avoid any like the plague.

Re:

Ive tried a set of those mismatched Hopes, they were awful.

Fwiw, I don't give much credence to this idea that dot and oil systems can't be mixed. I've used a length of Goodridge hosing for both, just blasted it out with disc cleaner between times. Ran fine. I reckon you could run oil through a component designed for dot and vice versa without issue, especially with brand new components.

NO! NO! NO!
DoT dissolves the seals in oil systems, and the seals in DoT swell with oil.

You have been warned.

Back