Hope floating rotor 'rocking'

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Just finished building up my dmr and whilst setting up the brakes, i discovered that there is a massive amount of play between the floating carrier and the braking disc, so much so the rear wheel can move about a cm with the brakes on.

Im assuming it's toast but is this common? Not happened to me before, and ot came with a very low mileage set of brakes (i used bigger rotors so kept hold of this without realising it had this issue).

Not common, but it does crop up from time to time.

IIRC if they are new, hope will replace them. If not, you can spread the existing rivets to reduce play. Though that much movement might be a bit of a stretch...........

Big hammer and some sort of a tapered punch in the middle of the hollow rivet. Or something.

Oh, technically they aren't *actually* floating rotors, just two piece........

Re:

"About a cm" !!!???!??

If it is really movement between the alloy carrier and brake disk, then it is trash.

Just had a look at one and find it hard to believe there can be that much movement.

The movement is at the rim. Not within the disc itself.
The disc will (likely) be less than a mm.........

Its way more than a mm at the disc sadly, it moves so much you can see daylight between the two, non floating rotor parts. And yes it does move more at the rim obviously. I think its for the bin, rather not risk dodgy braking, especially as the bike is for my wife, she may read something unintended into it.

The brake rotor bobbins should really be classed as a consumable, in the Motorcycle world they widely available as a diy replacement/upgrade & available in wide variety of colours.

You'd think so wouldn't you. Change the disc, keep the carrier. It would only needsomething like a chain ring bolt rather than the rivet to make that happen.

Back