What's the best full suss XC bike ever ?? the answer is !!!

wrinkleygit":pryb6i1o said:
surprised nobody threw this name into the ring, but I am now the proud owner of an early Yeti 575 medium frame, mike b.

Reason being its not really xv, i have one and its the closest bike i have to a dh rig, all of my stuff is lightweight xc.

... but its a good un, fox 120 mm forks up front and smile away :)

wrinkleygit":233e7ios said:
surprised nobody threw this name into the ring, but I am now the proud owner of an early Yeti 575 medium frame
As said, that's because you asked for 4" travel XC frames, and it's a 5.75" travel AM frame!

Nice though, get some 150mm travel forks on it - 120mm will be too short - and enjoy.

Re:

fair point, however I was swayed by price & availability plus with the extra travel available I can afford to eat a few more pies !!!

gradeAfailure":qwoqdj2a said:
Nice though, get some 150mm travel forks on it - 120mm will be too short - and enjoy.

You may have a point, need to have a closer look.... whatever they turn out to be, they are correct as they are Fox in turquoise to match the 30th anniversary frame. :xmas-big-grin:

Re:

pace 405
less than £250 for frame/shock and correct dt fork :D
only problem is finding one !
very smooth ride and no real bob
even grinding out in low gears

405 was on my shopping list, but as you say problem is finding one, I have sourced a med size cake frame front triangle so at some point I will downsize the complete bike I have already built as well as building up the yeti, eventually it will be interesting to compare the two bikes out on the common, mike.

Re: Re:

Mr Crudley":38es2z9f said:
xerxes":38es2z9f said:
No idea how well they ride or how much they weigh, I don't care.
Looks epic but can't only see squeaks, creaks and rattles moving in over time anywhere those pivots. Still nice though :)

The Whyte PRST-4 is a very capable XC bike, and when maintained there are no squeaks and rattles. A mk1 crud catcher keeps everything nice and clean. Importantly for the OP, it's got a low stand over height, and is very very comfortable and arthritis friendly. The suspension is super plush and makes long rides very easy on the body. It's also possible to build up a very light PRST, since the frame plus all suspension including front fork weighs a lot less than you'd think. (C.10lbs for the PRST1, slightly less for the PRST4). Brake dive issues are greatly reduced with a platform damped shock, technology that wasn't available when the bike was launched.
7758E8F5-E6E0-4074-B30D-17D60C324A02_zpsbk1rfd0l.jpg

gradeAfailure":38es2z9f said:
Proper E-bikes provide no assistance unless you're pedalling; there's no twist-throttle as you seem to think.

Depends upon the bike. Do what I did and cobble together some mad scientist contraption like my electro-felt Frankenstein-bike and you can have as much twistiness as you like, and you don't need to pedal, even when riding up stairs. It's still a very physical thing to ride though, since you need to wrestle it around corners (it's a bit weighty).
fbcd05395d65e9f990160dfd170aff2f_zps1f88c9af.jpg

36ef46c14c30a5edcba5652e4e249109_zps892e0da2.jpg

Re:

I've only owned 2 full sus bikes, but have ridden a few others.
I owned a Superlight, and loved it's simplicity.
For climbing, my Trek Fuel piddled all over it though. That bike just seemed to keep on gripping on bumpy climbs.
The best all rounder I've ridden though was my mates Lapierre Zesty. Cracking bike that.

All this is irrelevant though, as everyone knows that a 29er hardtail is best for cross country ;)

Latest posts

Back