All Wheel Drive

Woz":2qy6rixq said:
Just what is the problem with a rear wheel drive bicycle / motobike?
Traction and roadholding. Loss of traction from one wheel can be catastrophic, AWD should stop it being so much of an issue. It gives an enormous improvement in traction.

If you look at 4 wheeled vehicles, AWD gives you not only a way of getting up / through places where 2WD simply doesn't cut it (and locking differentials get you even further), but also a way of getting safely down slopes you couldn't even dream of climbing.

The problems with AWD are, especially with respect to bicycles, where the rider has to power everything, weight, additional transmission losses, and complexity. An AWD fatbike at 14 kilos is a pretty impressive technological achievement, and it appears to have pretty minimal transmission as well.

Re:

Y DON U JUS DO TXT SPK?

For the same reason I don't drink coffee in Starbucks and don't put my mobile phone on the table in restaurants; I'm not a w*nker.

And I was brung up proper. :p

Re: Re:

xerxes":1bqlciph said:
Y DON U JUS DO TXT SPK?

For the same reason I don't drink coffee in Starbucks and don't put my mobile phone on the table in restaurants; I'm not a w*nker.

:LOL:
Shakin' my needle any time soon?

Re: Re:

xerxes":oy4uls15 said:
Y DON U JUS DO TXT SPK?

I KNEW someone was buying their 'Iced Shaken Hibiscus Infusion'.

As for driving all the wheels available..

I can remember back when we gathered our peats. The best option was to wait until the first frosts hardened the ground, or pulling tractors out of the bog was the order of the day.

Driving a four wheel drive tractor was a revelation.

Mountain bikes and climbing muddy terrain adds up to at least some front wheel drive option.

Getting over the weight and resilience issue is the key.

I have no idea how that could be done.

Back