Rust on new bike ( and not a BSO either)

widowmaker

Gold Trader
Roberts Fan
Feedback
View
Hi all,

After my trip to Hospital I was excited to collect my new Winter hack yesterday a 2016 Marin Fourcorners in 4130 Steel.

BUT

I noticed there were flakes of rust falling from the forks and upon closer inspection there was rust in the fork drainage holes :shock:

I have checked the frame with a torch and looked down the seatpost, bottle cage holes etc and cant see any rust.

My question is this should I ask for a new bike or for some replacement forks ?

:cry:

If it was me I'd reject it. Thin end of the wedge etc.

Replace or refund plus something for your inconvenience.

The History Man":11twbjuf said:
If it was me I'd reject it. Thin end of the wedge etc.

Replace or refund plus something for your inconvenience.

Its just a little worrying, I know the bike is the end of 2016 stocks but shouldn't be rusting already :cry:

If they were to replace the bike with another how can I be sure this one not rusting inside without stripping it down :?:

A new bike should not be the source of worry from day one.

Reject it.

Now.

Go now.

Re:

I shall call the shop 1st thing and reject it, but not sure to request another of the same or a different bike :?

Get them to thoroughly inspect whatever you replace it with.

You researched your choice. The poor condition of the particular example doesn't make it a less suitable bike. I'd ask for like for like after getting the frame number of the first one. And then ask what they're prepared to do re your time etc.

When I turned up to pick up my 29er that wasn't built they knocked off over 10% on the spot as I had to wait in store. That was Evans.

The History Man":2t55oc75 said:
Get them to thoroughly inspect whatever you replace it with.

You researched your choice. The poor condition of the particular example doesn't make it a less suitable bike. I'd ask for like for like after getting the frame number of the first one. And then ask what they're prepared to do re your time etc.

When I turned up to pick up my 29er that wasn't built they knifed off over 10% on the spot as I had to wait in store.

Thanks for the advice, its turning what should be an exciting time bonding with my new bike /planning my tour next spring into a load of stress :cry:

That could be the super strength drugs and pain-killers I am on though :D

Seem's like the bike had been kept somewhere damp if you ask me as i've had two ex display bikes in the past and neither of them had the issue your's has so yes definitely reject it and good luck getting a replacement ;) ..

All frame material's have their drawbacks depending on how they are stored and their original quality ..

Back