Muddy bikes and cleaning them?

Re:

If it's particularly muddy, quick hose off saves time and gets in the nooks and crannies . Or watering can in the summer.
Followed by a bucket of soapy water and sponge for frame tubes, brush for the rest. Rinse of with watering can.
Wipe excess off with an absorbent cloth.
Leave to dry.
Oil cables, so easy with slotted guides! With 3 in 1
Lube chain, I use Pedros, or a wax lube in the summer

I never let the mud dry out, so easy to get off when it's wet

Mike

Re:

I might be a sucker for the marketing, but I douse the bike in Muc-Off spray after a ride which (theoretically) starts to work the worst off while I warm up the soapy water & grab the brushes..
I use PTFE (Shimano chain) lube when building if the inner cables are tricky to get through the outers, not had probs even with the bike that was left with family in the garage for 15 months..

Getting dried mud on a bike is EASY though in UK climes if you ride in the Spring/Summer especially, as the shaded areas and many soils stay muddy; but the sun can be baking :facepalm:

Re:

I usually remove the chain and clean seperately after the water wash ... and while thats off I usually crack the cassette off and clean/relube with a 50/50 oil/petrol wash and just leave to dry (the petrol evaps and leave a thin coat of protection on all nooks and crannies.

I refrain from spraying aerosol lubes around as a load usually ends up on my discs :evil:

Re: Re:

dazdc5":3stwa7gz said:
I usually remove the chain and clean seperately after the water wash ... and while thats off I usually crack the cassette off and clean/relube with a 50/50 oil/petrol wash and just leave to dry (the petrol evaps and leave a thin coat of protection on all nooks and crannies.

I refrain from spraying aerosol lubes around as a load usually ends up on my discs :evil:

Really? Jees that's commitment

mechanical_vandal":1edoo001 said:
Cleaning my bike? I'm not following...

One of the benefits of riding singlespeed with hydro brakes.

Apt username then... Or a singlespeed magically manages not to have a bottom bracket, hubs, tyres, frame tubes, forks or a headset.

Osella":3lbgybdj said:
mechanical_vandal":3lbgybdj said:
Cleaning my bike? I'm not following...

One of the benefits of riding singlespeed with hydro brakes.

Apt username then... Or a singlespeed magically manages not to have a bottom bracket, hubs, tyres, frame tubes, forks or a headset.

I can accept you implying I have no mechanical sympathy (I do but I'm not here to argue) but tyres?

Tyres?

Who the hell cleans their tyres?

Seriously though, after a wet/muddy ride I'll maybe clean and lube my chain, the rest will dry and fall off the next time I ride the bike.

Re:

I live near horses, cows & dogs, so tyres?..

Tyres?

I clean my tyres if there's anything still stuck in them after the ride home.. 'cos it might not be mud.

Osella":13afvr70 said:
I live near horses, cows & dogs, so tyres?..

Tyres?

I clean my tyres if there's anything still stuck in them after the ride home.. 'cos it might not be mud.

Hmm yeah dog, not so nice. Horse and cow is still go for the let it dry and fall off next ride routine.

Mate of mine has the same ethos, ride singlespeed, never clean or service it.

He probably spends more on fixing his bike than i do servicing mine.....

Back