Relacement shock, calculating the length?

davidj

Senior Retro Guru
I want to swap out the spring shock on my Marin for an Air Shock, but how do I know what Eye to Eye length to purchase? Obviously I can measure my current one but I can also adjust it by winding the adjuster in and out! Do I go for the maximum/minimum/average length, or is there a simpler way of working it out?

davidj":242k8nk6 said:
I want to swap out the spring shock on my Marin for an Air Shock, but how do I know what Eye to Eye length to purchase? Obviously I can measure my current one but I can also adjust it by winding the adjuster in and out! Do I go for the maximum/minimum/average length, or is there a simpler way of working it out?

You have a coil shock with adjustable length??!!

Re:

Well I think so, the full length of the shock body is threaded. I figured that must adjust the length because if I wind it all the way out there is no where left for the spring to compress into.

I am 15 years behind the curve though so forgive my ignorance...

Re:

Post a photo. As what ^^^^ said, adjustment is preload, it shouldnt affect overall length.

Re:

If it's a retro Marin as in late 90's like a Mount Vision or of that design, it'll be a 165mm rear shock.

But jut loosen the preload ( you don't need to but you can take the spring off then and makes measuring easier)
and measure the eye to eye as is i.e. extended
You'll also need the correct bushings when you buy the new shock.

There is also strock length, but doubt you have much choice on that.

Re:

Thanks FC, yes it is a 2001 Marin. Although it measures a quite definite 175mm eye centre to centre (is that how you measure it?), it does have a label on it that identifies it as a Shock Works NH Series. There is little info on the web about it but I did find this on weight weenies:

165 mm, w/ S550 - 700/58 spring and bushings weighing in at 630g.

Bikepedia states the bike should have 4" of travel on the rear.

Re:

Never been a patient type, I have a Suntour Raidon LO on its way. Thanks for ll the help, please expect more full suspension questions with my homebrew ideas on what is happening :facepalm: .

Latest posts

Back