Show us yer FSR's

Re: Re:

lowslowandold":1ssd733o said:
any suggestions on head sets? need the replace mine?

cant go wrong with Hope or Chris King.

but to be honest ive never had any problems with any sealed cartdrigde headsets.
ive had Token, Cane Creek, Tange and all been fine.

CRC always have good deals on and Retrobike 1998---> section always has a few CK & Hope Headsets going for nice prioces :)

Wanted section is your friend!

started stripping to service my hope brakes and they are in a proper poor state, some has had a go before and really messed up the pistons in each, really badly scored, pictures to follow

Re:

Picked up a set of 2006 Rockshox Revelation U-turn Air forks for around £43 delivered :LOL:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181599339100? ... EBIDX%3AIT

I was not expecting much, but i was banking on the seller (appears to be a lady) not really knowing what they are/were and potentially what they are/were worth.

They were delivered yesterday i and i quickly checked them over, the POS pressure was low, the u turn top cap was slack, the rebound knob is missing (along with the poploc lever but i dont need that), and they need a good clean and paint, pumping up the POS chamber i was happy to see the max travel now being able to adjust from 100-130mm :) but the stanchion coating is worn on the air spring side :( the gold coating is worn away, its a bit of a shame, but i am thinking about trying to airbrush some fresh gold paint on next year to tidy this up, they seamed to hold pressure fine.

I left them overnight, got in from work and they have still held pressure 24 hours later so i went out for a 12 mile ride, they work perfectly, apart from a little top out clunking noise that appears to be common on early U-turn forks, something to do with the U-turn plastic coil fitting getting worn and rattling a little inside the travel adjust, i was hoping they would give the same kind of feel as my old Reba forks and i was not disapointed.

Brilliant bargain, it has cost me £6 for some replacement decals and i have a few spare selections of various black paints already in my man-cave to repaint them at the weekend. A nice upgrade over my modified Rockhox Psylo forks (they are a lot less flexy :D )

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Had a look at the £43 Rockshox Revelation forks today (1st day of the xmas holidays :) )

I whipped the lowers off for a proper look, one stanchion has its gold coating worn away, one of the dust seals has a tear inside (looks like hamfisted installation) and this was allowing dirt to build up and scratching the gold surface away, i polished up the stanchion with autosol polish for now (thinking about trying to airbrush some gold paint over it in the future)

There was no oil in the lowers, and quite a bit of gunk/dirt/random horrible stuff, the motion control damper side had next to nothing in it at all (like 5ml max ffs) i disabled the poploc return spring on the motion control damper (i wont be using a poploc remote and prefer manual control) at this point i remembered that i had used the last of my fork oil 2 weeks ago, arghh, specs call for a 115ml 15w fork oil, hmmmm i have some 20w engine oil here :D :D as a bonus its also red colored so it even looks rockshox`y LOL it will do for now until i see if the seals are any good or not.

The lowers had a weird kinda hole thing near the bottom of one leg, i assumed it was a chip, as they were bone dry from the outside, but i investigated further and found i could push a jewelers screwdriver right through it into the fork lowers :eek:

I sanded a bit of the paint down around it and found this.

IMG_20141220_112553_zpscac66d67.jpg

To my eyes it looks confusing as hell, the hole is larger on the outside for sure than the inside, i just cant work out what would do this, the lowers are supposed to be magnesium. Weird!

Anyway, the lowers are only sealed up to hold a bit off fork bushings oil from what i can tell, so i hatched a plan to fill the hole, i read online that magnesium can not be soldered, but i had a go anyway (mainly because i googled it after having a little trouble at first LOL) what i did was melt the solder into the hole (not too much though) i wanted a kind of "droop" to go into the hole and hopefully be a little larger on the inside than the outside, i think i achieved this (gut feeling) i then flipped the lower over and reheated the solder so the iron was underneath the hole, thinking this should melt the "droop" inside the lower and cause it to spread out on the inside a little more, after doing this i then sanded down the outside to take down the external blob.

This appeared to work great :D

IMG_20141220_113934_zps3b6d4a30.jpg

A quick skim of filler, and a respray in some LIDL hammered black paint, and i could add my £6 replacement eBay decals.

IMG_20141220_142623_zpsbb44e86d.jpg

A quick wizz down the street and back, the forks feel great! the lockout is not having any effect, probably as its the wrong weight oil, and i need to work out how the floodgate works on these, the little knurled floodgate knob seams amazingly stiff to turn (on my old rebas i had to pop up a cap and use an allen key to adjust the floodgate) i left the rebound alone on whatever setting they were already set to. They hold oil and air spot on so far and feel nice and smooth when riding,, im away out for an all bi offroad ride tomorrow with the MTB club so i will give them a right bashing then :D

How the bike sits in 130mm mode.

IMG_20141220_142657_zpsa720ded6.jpg

Man job done for the day, now i just have to wash all 3 of these :( :( :(

IMG_20141220_142713_zpsed4198f2.jpg

Back