When is Tapered not Tapered?

jimo746

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
I have a 2013 Ghost ASX4900 frame, which from what I've read has a tapered head tube, and tapered forks.
However upon taking things apart today it seems that the forks (Suntour Raidon Air EL) are not tapered at all, but a straight 1" 1/8th steerer, and upon trying to fit the new forks (with tapered steerer) it's obvious that the lower race and headset cup is designed for 1"1/8th steerer.

But the bearings look like 1.5" diameter :?

What's going on?

Does this mean the headtube is in fact 1.5" but is fitted with a reduced headset to suit 1"1/8th steerer??

Is it just the crown race and lower cup I need to source in 1.5" size? or is it a case of buying an entire new headset??

help!!

If theres an obvious difference between the diameters top and bottom of the headtube then its the taper. Far as i know you can fit a 1.5" OD-1 1/8" ID headset to them for standard forks, so it would indeed be a tapered headset specific for a tapered frame.
If in doubt you could always drop them an email. Arrives instantly and youll still have 2 days before the weekend to get and answer

My understanding is you'll have a different 'bottom' part if the headset to get either taper or non taper forks to fit your tapered head tube.

I have been looking at the following frame and they explain quite clearly the different headsets...I know not directly relevant to your frame but helps explain it hopefully :D
http://www.ragleybikes.com/bigwig-29er- ... l#overview

Ps it used to be so easy!!

Usually it's just the crown race that acts as reducer, the bottom cup should stay the same ... with a little luck!

Re:

This is my first time dealing with this modern tapered headtube devilry :evil: , here's a pic of the lower headset cup (it's a Ritchey headset)... I'll get the vernier calipers out and see what's what, but I'm thinking it's a case of new lower cup/crown race/bearings Hope Pic n' Mix?), or maybe easier to just get a tapered headset :|

Looks like an "integrated" lower headset cup? reducer (1.5" to 1"1/8th) style?

elPedro666":1xrizlpw said:
Still betting on a 44mm and you just need a new crown race

yup :) I measured 43.76mm inside diameter of the lower headtube (once I had knocked out the lower headset cup).

However, I'm going to need a lower headset cup as the one that was in there was obviously stepped or reduced to fit in the 1"1/8th bearings.
I did try the "new" tapered steerer forks and it's clear that there's no way they will fit with that bottom headset cup.

sooo... 1.5" Bottom headset cup, bearings, and crown race are needed. Any suggestions? I'm planning on changing frame later this year, so either a cheap and cheerful stop-gap, or something decent that I can transfer onto another frame a few months down the line.

Re:

Think I'll go for a cheap tapered headset, something like the £20 AEST ones on eBay, as I'm changing frames in a few months anyway, and there's no guarantee the new frame will be compatible with the headset.

So, semi integrated, or integrated?

Latest posts

Back