Bike lights/Headlights on ebay

rearwheel

Retro Guru
Hi, can anyone recommend a seller on ebay for selling headlights/bikelights?

Obviously, there's endless choice but it'd be nice to perhaps spend a little more on something that I won't have to throw in the bin in a couple of months.

Those Cree lights look interesting. Cheers.

I bought one of THESE before Christmas, and tbh it shows why an Exposure etc. is £200 :)

The headlight isn't waterproofed where the cable goes in and the mount has no left-right angle adjustment so depending what shape your bars are it might be difficult to aim it. The battery case doesn't even pretend to be waterproof. The battery is four cells inside heatshrink with CARDBOARD ends. That'll go brilliantly with a bit of water. The battery case just has one simple strap to attach to the bike so it'll need a bit of ingenuity to mount it securely without swinging / sliding about. And the strobe mode is proper fit-inducingly harsh.

That said, it does chuck out quite a bit of light and it's a really white light. Fairly wide spread. For £16.99 I don't think you can really complain. It arrived promptly too even in the pre-Christmas rush.

I've not used it properly but gut feeling is that it'd probably be fine for commuting if you just have a few unlit stretches and aren't too far from civilisation. I don't think I'd trust it for a long night ride in the woods when the risk of getting stranded is a bit more real.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
When cheap is a tenth of the price, does buying twice really matter.

I have torches bought off Ebay that have lasted years.

fagin":lpigk6t9 said:
When cheap is a tenth of the price, does buying twice really matter.
Purely in terms of the money, no, not really. But if one of these cheapie lights leaves you stranded in the boonies one night the fact you can buy another one tomorrow might not be much consolation ! I thought that was the jist of my review, that it's fine for what it is, but it's a long way short of the premium brands (which are 10-20 times the price).

rearwheel":2xn87bmx said:
Mmm, £17 spent on plastic rubbish.
I'm in the fortunate position where I can spend £17 on something to find out what it's like and not worry too much about whether it works out in the long term. Sorry about that.

Re:

I use one of those lights, bar-mounted. Find them ok TBH. I wrap some old inner tube around my unfashionably small diameter bars so it doesn't move about. Also wrap the battery in cling film to waterproof it.
Off-road I rarely use it though. Personal preference is to use one of these on it's own.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CREE-XML-XM-L ... 20c5013dc9,

helmet-mounted and with a battery in my back pocket with the cable going up the inside of my jersey. Gives a great beam of light, not as wide a spread as the other one though. I find I'm looking further up the trails as I go faster.
But I always have the other one too, as well as a spare battery. That is a must.

Batteries are a bit of a lottery though tbh. I've had good and bad ones.

Mike

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back