eBay snipers

fjpshaw

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Saw something brutal on eBay this afternoon. A set of Z1 BAMs were going mega cheap (£17) with only a few minutes to go, and having only had a handful of bids throughout the 7 days auction duration. The same guy had been leading the bidding the whole time. I'm still looking for Z1 internals so stuck in a low £39 bid for the price of internals just in case I got lucky. Instantly outbid at £40, so the original bidder was obviously keen to get them and had set a max bid. Fair play to him, and I did my Duncan Bannatyne impression.

Only about 2 mins remaining so I kept an eye on hem to see how much they ended up going for. Still at £40. 1 minute...£40. 30 seconds...£40. 5 seconds...£40, great price for some Z1s! Then at one second remaining, someone snipered the price up to £102!!! Original bidder still managed to hang on and must have set a very high max bid. I know that's the way of eBay these days, but how pissed would you be??! Getting a steal one second at £40, then getting pumped by an extra £60 the next second!

I use a sniper. Set and forget. Takes the stress out and can save you a few bob as doesn't give others time to bid again, unless your snipe is below as in this case. I got fed up of losing things in a similar way. If you can't beat them.....

Bid the maximum amount you are prepared to pay. Then you can't be sniped, because any snipe would be a bid for more than you were willing to pay anyway.

Yep, snipers are just one of those things that if you're dealing on eBay, you need to accept are part of the territory. And I'm sure the winner was equally aware. Still must have been a sore one to take in this case.

It was never available at the price you were willing to pay for it. That's Ebay.

Someone else got the bits. They didn't get a good price. More fool them, frankly.

Re:

Yep, another regular user of snipe tools. I like the set a price, and forget aspect. Plus you don't get caught up in the "I must have these" moment. If you lose out to a higher bidder, it was never meant to be.

Re: Re:

greencat":pbmvs6i0 said:
Yep, another regular user of snipe tools. I like the set a price, and forget aspect. Plus you don't get caught up in the "I must have these" moment. If you lose out to a higher bidder, it was never meant to be.

Ditto...Also you dont get into a bidding war ;)

Ernie ;)

Re:

One second is late even for snipers, that would extend the auction 10seconds or so iirc too?

So certainly if you know how they work, with 5 seconds to go you'd think it's a done deal.
Mind you, I've had them in that late doing it manually, it's not always a snipe.

Back