Ibis ti SS

robins":18gyy18g said:
does anyone have any history on these ibis ss bikes? not a lot on internet

I'm wondering the same thing myself. Information is indeed very scarce on this particular run of frames. I was able to find a tidbit regarding a run of Ibis SS frames is the late nineties (gleaned from Wikipedia)

1998: limited run of single speed frames (one for each letter of the alphabet)

No mention of them being Titanium, although it's perfectly plausible that a number of these could have been, given the companies history w/ Ti.

However, The Ibis SS (as a model) was introduced in the early nineties (1990, I believe). This coincided with the company beginning to manufacture with Titanium.

I think (and I have been known to get it wrong) The small production run of Ibis single speeds were steel frames and used an eccentric BB. They are pretty rare. The Ibis SS or Setting Sun was a much earlier and very popular production geared bike. The titanium bike in the ad is something very different. It looks similar to a Mai Tai which is what I mistook it for at first glance. But it has a better tube set and horizontal drop outs. I believe this is one of a very small number of Titanium single speeds, probably a prototype or just a fun custom project. I heard it originally used to have the later banner graphic on the down tube. There are some pictures of the complete bike if you hunt on MTBR.

I emailed john of ibis bowti an he says he dosnt remember a ss ti bike
Being made when he was there but as mentioned they did do a steel
Version, no doubt there were some made BUT little info on these
So maybe they were a project idear that didnt come to anything.

John said only two szazbos were made which was intresting.

Price on auction for frame was $2500 which i think is very
Rich for a frame with little history /info and a ding on down tube

Latest posts

Back