Retrobike
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/

Pace RC 500 Gumtree... Value?
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=187172

Author:  stevetait [ Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:57 pm ]
Post subject:  Pace RC 500 Gumtree... Value?

http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/adult ... e/96024411

Guessing this has been raised already... What's the true value for this poor RC500??

Author:  suburbanreuben [ Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:52 am ]
Post subject: 

Why poor?
It looks like it's been used for it's intended purpose, but doesn't look thrashed...

Author:  JeRkY [ Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:56 am ]
Post subject: 

Well there are only two on here ( thats an F2 variant btw) And certainly from my point of view having put mine together It cost a hell of a lot more and I wouldn't sell it for anywhere near that price.

Ringo I suspect will echo that sentiment.

So I think thats fairly good value.

Author:  JeRkY [ Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:58 am ]
Post subject: 

The advert does worry me a little, I am always suspicious of people with particularly poor spelling, especially when using a computer! and especially when trying to sell an item for a large lump of money.

You'd just expect a bit more effort.

Author:  stevetait [ Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:18 pm ]
Post subject: 

Thanks for the comments Jerky....your build was one I followed closely and rank as one of the best I have seen to date on the site so your opinion is very much valued thanks.

I have not yet viewed it on a PC... Working too much and using a bloody iPhone, the photo didn't look great on viewing and looked a bit uncared for beyond normal usage. I'll take a peek tonight properly.

Thanks chaps

Author:  JeRkY [ Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:38 pm ]
Post subject: 

Condition wise, it looks grubby but other than that in fine fettle. Thing is with bikes as rare as these, if you want one you really have to take it where you can as the odds of another one appearing are slim.

That said, because its a DH rig it attracts less of the collectors than XC machines tend to.

Author:  stevetait [ Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:47 pm ]
Post subject: 

Good point, I'm just chatting with seller now trying to establish the size.

Author:  KDM [ Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:54 pm ]
Post subject: 

I've had new glasses on today so please forgive if my eye vision is poor.

The middle picture where the top bar meets the headstock look right of the joining weld about 2 thirds down the weld on the headstock, is that a rough part, crack or just dirt do you think?

Author:  hirosawa [ Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:40 am ]
Post subject: 

It's a reinforcing ring on the headtube.

Bikes advertised as 'adult mountain bike' always look a bit sus.

Author:  KDM [ Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:15 pm ]
Post subject: 

I can see the re enforcing ring at the top of the headtube but the bit I'm mentioning is about 2 inched down in line with the weld

Author:  Merlinman [ Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:25 pm ]
Post subject: 

stevetait wrote:
Good point, I'm just chatting with seller now trying to establish the size.

Does this mean it will be ridden if it fits you?

Or that you need to know if it will fit on your ceiling for the next 20yrs...

lol

Author:  stevetait [ Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:25 pm ]
Post subject: 

:lol: it will be a rider if I can get some straight answers!

Author:  ringo [ Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:44 am ]
Post subject: 

I agree with the other RC500 owner on here... in essence it looks a goer... I personally think it is a bit top heavy at that money - a grand is much nearer the mark...

Condition, if I'm honest, looks a little better than what I had to start with. If the hubs/rims/brakes/crank are period correct, you'd be halfway there.

With a clean and nice RC150 up front that bike would potentially look great. I'd budget a £1000 to buy it (max) and £250 for bits... Factor in a £150 rebuild on the forks. Then you'd have a really nice example of the RC500 at around it's current price...

Not sure if the triple clamps currently on it would get you anything back...

Hope it goes to someone on here and if it does, i'm always available to offer help and assistance... JeRkY's the real fount of knowledge though!

Author:  ringo [ Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:59 am ]
Post subject: 

Just remembered, this was up for sale last year... and the guy sent me some hi res photo's... The three that are on Gumtree and one other...

Author:  ringo [ Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:08 am ]
Post subject: 

Just a thought guys (and Rob in particular). Does that rear shock arrangement look right...? (as seen on bottom pic)

The machined linkage that goes from the downtube to the rear end of the fox shock looks bent. It should be straight, but it doesn't look like that in the photo... I'd certainly want to give it a thorough check before purchase...

Can't think how it would get bent/broken....

Author:  ringo [ Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:09 am ]
Post subject: 

Oh and I'd worry about what was buried under that cross in next doors garden!! :D

Author:  ringo [ Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:37 pm ]
Post subject: 

Quote:
Just a thought guys (and Rob in particular). Does that rear shock arrangement look right...? (as seen on bottom pic)

The machined linkage that goes from the downtube to the rear end of the fox shock looks bent. It should be straight, but it doesn't look like that in the photo... I'd certainly want to give it a thorough check before purchase...

Can't think how it would get bent/broken....

On refletion, I think it is OK, it's just sat a bit funny, because of the way the front forks hold the front up...