Emelle - How bad are these?

zigzag

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
They were the cheapest of the cheap, think supermarket own brand and then remove the quality. The reason its not seen much action is the poor owner was put off ever cycling again after just one ride on that BSO, they are probably single-handedly responsible for several thousand people now being obese.

I'm sure somebody will come along and defend this piece of shite, but just because some thing looks fresh doesn't mean its good or a bargain-I'd search for a real bike rather than this low end excuse.

pete_mcc":3e7tljkj said:
They were the cheapest of the cheap, think supermarket own brand and then remove the quality. The reason its not seen much action is the poor owner was put off ever cycling again after just one ride on that BSO, they are probably single-handedly responsible for several thousand people now being obese.

I'm sure somebody will come along and defend this piece of shite, but just because some thing looks fresh doesn't mean its good or a bargain-I'd search for a real bike rather than this low end excuse.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

If only I could take you back to 1992 so you could tell this to my friend James. He got an Emmelle Cougar for his birthday and spent the next few weeks looking down on everyone else still riding their Brothers (or Sisters) hand me down Raleighs, Dawes etc. It was that kind of peer pressure that led me to end up with a similar POS :roll:

My first mtb was an Emmelle Lepard 12 speed and it got me into mountainbiking. It was definitely better quality than the shite that ASDA are churning out now, but not a "proper" MTB. The gears were genuine Shimano, (ooooh) and even SIS - pretty flash when I was 11!

That said, I wouldn't buy one now if you paid me! :)

My first mountain bike was an Emmelle in 1990. It was a POS but for £60 it provided lots of entertainment for me (and my better equipped friends) as I tried to ride it over Snowdonia's mountains for the better part of a term. It was certainly fun - particularly as it had steel rims, centre ridge tyres and side pull brakes!

Sold it at the following Christmas for £55 and upgraded to a Saracen Sahara. You got a lot less bike for £300 then and most of the components on that wore out within 3 months.

I used to sell these in the shop i worked in and the bullshit and lies i had to tell people to get them to part with there hard earned was unbelievable, And to think some of these sacks of shit cost upwards of £300 :shock: Still they were 50 times better than the townsend shite we used to sell :LOL:

When we were in our teens a friend and I spent a while sitting on the wall outside King's in Cambridge shouting 'EMMELLE!' at every Emmelle that went by. Then a chap rode past, I kid you not, with a full armchair balanced on his head. We figured that this was a high point so we scuffed off back home.

Looks like a 1990 Emmelle Dolomite to me. They were around the same price and spec as my Tufftrax and my pals Palisades. Couple of lads we knew had them and they were not too bad. They both upgraded to Alpinestars before long though.

It's a bit naughty to class everything these old names ever did as sh*te just because of the pish they dish out now. The top of the line Emmelle's were a perfectly acceptable way into mtb'ing back then. Another example is British Eagle who make those god awful Asda bikes. In the early '90's they were turning out some reasonably well regarded kit (remeber the original Boss getting ok reviews).
Going on the rule that if it's turd now then it was turd in the past how many on here are going to chuck out there big 'R' Dynatechs? ;)

You have a point, but while Emmelle did have a couple of entry level bikes, they did sell a whole lot of their range at Toys 'R' Us...

Back