XTR front skewer

Anthony

Retrobike Rider
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Assuming they're still in stock, complete hubs are cheaper, NOS, in the Edinburgh Bike Co-op sale. That said, they were very pricy skewers in their day if bought separately.

They're not the best skewers either.
What's wrong with them?

one-eyed_jim":34m4hhyv said:
Assuming they're still in stock, complete hubs are cheaper, NOS, in the Edinburgh Bike Co-op sale. That said, they were very pricy skewers in their day if bought separately.
They're not the best skewers either.
What's wrong with them?
Not saying there's anything wrong with them Jacques, but I don't think they're any better quality or any lighter than XT IMPE. Nicer colour though, that I admit.

I think XTR is over-priced on eBay, people just go XTR crazy and it ends up being nothing like as good value as XT. But for skewers, I prefer Kore and if I'm brave enough to confess it the best skewers I've got are some Fred Salmon ones that are copies of Ringle and higher quality than Ringle. Not all that bling, I grant you, but very light and the hubs stay where I put them.

Anthony":ahuisb10 said:
Not saying there's anything wrong with them Jacques, but I don't think they're any better quality or any lighter than XT IMPE. Nicer colour though, that I admit.
Ah, I thought you were employing litotes.

I think they're - as you say - basically XT skewers with a different finish, and an expensive laser-cut XTR logo (which must surely reduce the weight a hair or two). That makes them good skewers in my book. If I get one with my £13 hub, I'll not be unhappy.

one-eyed_jim":3hybnvp7 said:
If I get one with my £13 hub, I'll not be unhappy.
Quite!

Oh, and I've never been accused of employing litotes ever before! As if I'd do a thing like that. :oops:

scant":8jh61lwd said:
his matching rear XTR QR is only £4 starting price...

but it's used, and from the pic, the lever looks quite mangled.

i got a set of similar skewers, with laser cut XTR logo, that came with a m910 wheelset. should i assume they are not the proper skewers? they look nice so i don't mind them. but i'm just curious, if the skewers should be the same as the m900 ones.

RockiMtn":1qh3m8nb said:
i got a set of similar skewers, with laser cut XTR logo, that came with a m910 wheelset. should i assume they are not the proper skewers? they look nice so i don't mind them. but i'm just curious, if the skewers should be the same as the m900 ones.
M910 skewers are like these:

http://members.home.nl/children-of-the-korn/XTR900.htm

http://members.home.nl/children-of-the- ... 0%20QR.jpg

They have the XTR cut-out, but the lever is anodized glossy blue/grey, and the cam enclosure is silver.

Latest posts

Back