GT XIZANG yay!!! cracks everywhere boooo

GoldenEraMTB

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
GoldenEraMTB":2eq63yz0 said:
Is this repairable, and if so, how much?

I believe not.

cjax recently brought a cracked Xizang off Ebay that I was bidding on :LOL:

I asked him to keep me posted on the repair, but, sadly it turned out it couldnt be repaired.......so he made a stool out of the frame! :LOL:

Yeah this one is definitely wall art at this point. I'm thinking it was on the car rack when it entered the garage. Not sure how else one could do in both the top tube and down tube welds like that without winding up in a hospital for a good spell. This one may go low enough for the scrap value on the Ti and the fork to still be a bargain though.

I've got a nice 18" listed if you need one.

:LOL: I like that
*Forks work great*
Especially with the extra flexing at the front :LOL:
Has a new lateral movement to it

teach me,

I'm a welder by trade. If it was alu it would not be a problem to fix. So what makes it irrepairable because its titanium? I admittedly have done know titanium welding at all, but a bloke at work used to work for Westland Helicopters. He said that in theory nothing is irrepairable given the right wire/rods and an appropriate set. Is he wrong/winding me up? I might be ill informed and it may be scrap,but I doubt it.

Re: teach me,

Grannygrinder":3vtqgxvn said:
I'm a welder by trade. If it was alu it would not be a problem to fix. So what makes it irrepairable because its titanium? I admittedly have done know titanium welding at all, but a bloke at work used to work for Westland Helicopters. He said that in theory nothing is irrepairable given the right wire/rods and an appropriate set. Is he wrong/winding me up? I might be ill informed and it may be scrap,but I doubt it.

yes it can be done , but need to be done by soeone who knows what he is doing .
I am sure Rody explained on here the technical bits .

I suppose someone could shorten the top tube and down tube and weld back on a longer heat tube but it night change the front end angles and toe clearance a bit. The way that top tube is cracked it would need to be shortened at least an inch.

I'd be interested on both this one and cjax's to here from the original owners if the cracks just happened from normal riding and slowly developed over time or if they smacked a tree or took a major fall.

Back