Kona Una Titanium singlespeed USA

And I've never heard of one before. It has 1998 decals, but it wasn't in the 1998 catalogue.

The decals and paint all look authentic Kona, but the name Una is all upper case so the decal could have been made by anybody just by cutting off the King Kah part from a King Kahuna decal. Although the bike is originally a Hei Hei rather than a King Kahuna, as it lacks the gussets.

My guess is that this is a custom singlespeed Hei Hei, built by TiSport and decked out with the imaginative decal either by Kona or by the commissioning owner, who had spotted the singlespeed relevance of the last three letters of the name Kahuna.

I would have thought with the kit it has, a $1,200 BIN is quite cheap, even to us over here and at the current much-reduced valuation of the pound sterling.

Mmm, dropouts don't look right to me. Seems to be to many rings of weld round them like they have been added.

Also not sure about the white tape where the green ends and the ti starts.

Definately looks like a modified hei hei.

Still would be good value with the kit that is on it, if it weren't for the bl**dy exchange rate.

Chris.

cjax":1z73m4qq said:
Mmm, dropouts don't look right to me. Seems to be to many rings of weld round them like they have been added.

Also not sure about the white tape where the green ends and the ti starts.

Definately looks like a modified hei hei.

Still would be good value with the kit that is on it, if it weren't for the bl**dy exchange rate.

Chris.

^^ What Chris said.

Modified Hei Hei. But modified by whom?

I agree the welds don't look as neat as other Ti Sports bikes, so maybe the SS conversion WAS done later? The "bullet" end caps are still there. So, if it IS an after-market conversion, they've given it some thought and haven't just hacked it about.

It would be interesting to see if there's any evidence of cable stops having been removed from the DT/ TT/ seat tube/ rear stays. Especially the "triple" brake & gear stops on the top tube of later frames.

Good value compared to UK prices.
But an inch too small for me -

and he only ships to the lower 48 states.
(Saved from another impulse purchase! :D)

I emailed the seller and got a prompt reply. The seller states:

It's legit.
He is the original owner and a long-time Kona dealer.
The bike was acquired directly from Kona as a singlespeed.
The only cable-stops ever fitted are for the rear brake, as shown.

I SO want this bike.
But I already have 3 singlespeeds. Plus a Hei Hei. And it's 2 weeks before Christmas...

Back