itty bitty Orange C16R

Khane

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
It's just a size 15, that's all. Brilliant frame.

Excuse poor picture, but I built this one for my son when he was 9, he used it until he was 14. STX-RC drivetrain, except XT cranks, Z2 Lights, DH stem, HotRod bars. Now in the hands of somebody else's 9 year old.

Attachments

• 1996 Orange C16R size 15 c.jpg
    1996 Orange C16R size 15 c.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 1,148
looks a crap load smaller than a 15".
my mum has a 15" kona fire mountain and that looks about right for a 15",
but that orange does look minute in comparrison

Khane":1c68eza3 said:
But surely you can see that it's the same as the one I built? In any case, size 15 was the smallest size of Orange. It was intended for adults or children of 5-0 to 5-4, and with a short stem and the saddle down, it's fine for a 4-10 person, trust me. And much lighter and faster than any of their friends' bikes too, which is the main thing!

Anthony":24y5380h said:
Khane":24y5380h said:

But surely you can see that it's the same as the one I built? In any case, size 15 was the smallest size of Orange. It was intended for adults or children of 5-0 to 5-4, and with a short stem and the saddle down, it's fine for a 4-10 person, trust me. And much lighter and faster than any of their friends' bikes too, which is the main thing!

C2C of 52.5 is ~12.5 inches (assuming the seller has measured accurately). Are you're saying that a 12.5" C2C is described by Orange as a 15"? The thing I'm less keen on though it the TT length at over 21.5, which is long for a "12.5" and probaly closer to a 15...ahhh :idea:

Crell":3k8ua5ms said:
C2C of 52.5 is ~12.5 inches (assuming the seller has measured accurately). Are you're saying that a 12.5" C2C is described by Orange as a 15"? The thing I'm less keen on though it the TT length at over 21.5, which is long for a "12.5" and probaly closer to a 15...ahhh :idea:
Orange did not make a bike smaller than size 15.
That is one.
The C-T of my son's bike is 14.6, I imagine that equates to 12.5 C-C. Orange call it a size 15, as most makers would.
The C-C top tube according to Orange was 524mm = 20.6", the effective TT according to me is 21.7.
With the stem shown in my picture, the current owner who is 4-9 is a very happy fit on the bike

dont get me wrong im not disaggreeing with you, it just looks a crap load smaller than my mums 15" fire mountain

Khane":t8lbs1i8 said:
dont get me wrong im not disaggreeing with you, it just looks a crap load smaller than my mums 15" fire mountain
Well, I can't really comment as there's no such thing as a size 15 Fire Mountain. But Kona say the effective top tube of a 14 Fire Mountain (C-C ST = 11) is 21.5 and of a 16 Fire Mountain (C-C ST = 13) is 22.2, so really this Orange is mid-way between those two Kona sizes, as you'd expect.

My best Kona size is 17 and I could ride the size 15 Orange happily enough with a 120 stem, a bit small but not too small to mask what a great frame it is. Incidentally, I looked up my Orange info and they actually said it was designed for 5-2 to 5-7, so I was wrong earlier. Maybe it's just the angle of the photo that makes it look smaller than it is.

My best Kona size is 17

Me too, do you find that going up to the 18 seems to make a big difference or at least far more than you would expect.
Think that's the reason I am not too keen on Kona's for the sizing, harder to find a 17 and just not happy on the bigger one.

Incidentally my daughter had a 14in Hahanna and that really was small, so can't imagine that Orange being even tinier.

Back