* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:50 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Huntso wrote:
Quote:
My best Kona size is 17

Me too, do you find that going up to the 18 seems to make a big difference or at least far more than you would expect.
Think that's the reason I am not too keen on Kona's for the sizing, harder to find a 17 and just not happy on the bigger one.

Incidentally my daughter had a 14in Hahanna and that really was small, so can't imagine that Orange being even tinier.

Yes, I know what you mean Rich, but I'm just building my first 18 so I'll report soon. In theory the 18 is just a half inch longer than a 17, which is only a matter of swapping out a 105mm stem for a 90, but sometimes it just doesn't feel right, does it? For me 17 is fine, 16 also fine but not quite so fine, 19 is ok but a bit larger than necessary and 20 is a stretch (although I did commute on one for a while), so all things are possible.

As far as a size 14 Kona is concerned, apologies if I have shown you this photo before, but I think it fits her fine (leg if anything too bent) and the caption tells the story. The doting dad didn't say what age range his little bundle of joy was national champion at, but I'd guess under 12 or under 13, wouldn't you? Kona say it is intended for height 4-7 to 5-3.

Attachments:
2006 Kula size 14 with 4-10 rider (national champ).jpg
2006 Kula size 14 with 4-10 rider (national champ).jpg [ 149.28 KiB | Viewed 1003 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:04 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

My daughter was about five foot when she had hers and it fitted her fine, rode it myself once to go and get something, just a bit on the small side though :)

Wish I could say that any Kona felt right for me, but it doesn't and I know at least one other person commented on the same thing, 17 inch is the best fit, but don't own any now

Hard to believe that different makes vary so much and anything made by Orange is totally wrong for me. On the other hand Specialized seem to be just right, but guess its good otherwise there would be just one bike for us all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:15 pm 
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider

I think i'll have a go at it,my eldest nephew is getting of the age where a real bike is needed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:44 pm 
MacRetro rider
MacRetro rider

go on then, who won the orange?