92 ZINN blue with hope disk brakes 19” frame

Didn't think that'd hang around long.

Some bike, there's bound to be a story around it.

'Hope" someone got it who will appreciate and not to see it split up, or flipped for profit.

Re:

Wow, that was a bargain! Super rare too, Andy only built two ‘Z-Disc’ one red and one blue.

Re: Re:

1978":fi9uc0tc said:
Wow, that was a bargain! Super rare too, Andy only built two ‘Z-Disc’ one red and one blue.

I thought it was more than that? Isn't there a grey one around? I'd be inclined to agree the price was very good, then again the red one is in my garage...

Rod_Saetan":3hj72hma said:
I thought it was more than that? Isn't there a grey one around? I'd be inclined to agree the price was very good, then again the red one is in my garage...

Not according to the man himself, I very nearly bought the blue one last time it was listed on eBay and discussed it with Andy.

Attachments

• F12CD45F-D32D-4AC6-9E53-BA8760466191.jpeg
    F12CD45F-D32D-4AC6-9E53-BA8760466191.jpeg
    160.1 KB · Views: 3,524
Re:

There was 2 models on the sales sheet wasn't there though!

Zinn 753 disc in red
Zinn centaur disc in blue

Maybe they only built 2 of one of them and he doesn't remember the other model?

RBG

He is right about the Hope mechanical disc ..... they really weren’t great

Stopping power was dire - in the end the front hub split and let go of three spokes forcing me to move over V brakes which were cheaper /lighter and worked better

retrobikeguy":18lytqll said:
There was 2 models on the sales sheet wasn't there though!

Zinn 753 disc in red
Zinn centaur disc in blue

Maybe they only built 2 of one of them and he doesn't remember the other model?

RBG

Makes sense, except mine is 531, red, and came built with Centaur :)

I guess just because the model was on the sales sheet it doesn’t mean they actually built them?

Rod_Saetan":1tnm2le5 said:
Makes sense, except mine is 531, red, and came built with Centaur :)

I guess just because the model was on the sales sheet it doesn’t mean they actually built them?

true......

icarus was the replacement for centaur in 1992 so maybe yours is an earlier late 1991 version and was available in custom colours?

just throwing it out there.

Retro Spud":3t8br0bh said:
He is right about the Hope mechanical disc ..... they really weren’t great

Stopping power was dire - in the end the front hub split and let go of three spokes forcing me to move over V brakes which were cheaper /lighter and worked better
Which hub was that, only I thought the early mechanical were for big flange hubs, which if todays is anything to go by should have been strong enough.

I know the early ones get a lot of stick for cracking, especially the ti centered and 36h, but i sometimes wonder if one of the real reasons was people continuing to tighten and tighten the spokes while retruing. Something would have to give eventually.

just a thought :)

Back