BoTM Winner
PoTM Winner
GT Fan
Feedback
View
One of the more reasonable versions

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RALEIGH-MOUN ... SwrQxbCRhp

s-l1600.jpg

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I reckon the second is the better version, but only slightly, it's a later Maverick GT (with a number of upgrades over the lower spec Maverick ATB which was the same colours in the same year, mainly the better frame with lugged ATT23 tubing, forged dropouts and better geo, the ATB shared the frame with the lower Mustang). Those two are both made out of the not great ATT23 Hi-ten steel which was heavy but functional. The second version has forged dropouts rather than those horrid pressed affairs. The Shimano light action mech is streets ahead in shifting than the old huret one. Both have alloy wheels with sealed maillard hubs and alloy rings on the chainset. The Tange Unique-X headset is the only threaded headset I have had that never ever worked loose.
Maverick GT was also my first MTB (probably why I can remember chapter and verse on the spec) and I'd have that for £30 if I was near to Thetford. I wanted a Memphis (same frame but with Suntour Accushift 3040 gears, Sakae Ovaltech chainset and a front QR wheel) or a Montage but could get a good enough deal where I could afford them. In hindsight I probably should have saved longer and gone for a Montage but hey ho. It got written off and I ended up with the Holdsworth you had.

Carl.

Back