Apollo masquerading as GT Avalanche

CassidyAce

Senior Retro Guru
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

Yes, I know. But as well as the Apollo decals, it has decals saying 'GT18', just to make it even more of a rip-off. I suppose the curiosity is that Halfords was not stopped from selling them by legal action from GT.

mdvineng":1bzufcii said:
GT is too generic a term for litigation

I'm not a legal expert by any stretch of the imagination, but the decals say 'GT18', and 'Avalanche' and it has a 'Triple-triangle' frame. What they were trying to do seems pretty clear even if litigation was not on the cards. Obviously, it is not an attempt at counterfeit - after all, it has the Apollo decals - but it does look like it was an attempt to boost sales with a kind of "poor man's GT Avalanche".

Attachments

• ApolloAvalanche.jpg
    ApolloAvalanche.jpg
    236 KB · Views: 1,256
You are only about 27 years late.

That Apollo is perfectly legit.

GT do not own the 'triple triangle' design and never have done, maybe a patent existed for a while on the assembly with specificity toward tube piercing. Its hard to claim ownership of something that has already existed for decades - its called a 'Hellenic' frame:

Hetchins%20curly%20stays%2C%20vibrant%20stays%2C%20hellenic%20stays.jpg

A later Hawk Trakatak

file.php

And a non triple triangle GT - Surely GT are 'ripping off' the double diamond frame!

talera_200gs_4_152.jpg

CassidyAce":1hnd7p0s said:
This one is just a curiosity: an Apollo Avalanche with triple triangle frame, complete with GT18 decals. Absolutely blatant rip-off! No reflection on the seller, who appears genuine enough.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Apollo-Avala ... Swgc1aoBcW

Take a deep breath, calm down and have a cup of tea, maybe with a biscuit or two.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
If Lancia had produced a sports car that looked a bit like a Lotus and called it the Esprit Lotus18 . . . Hmmm. You know that feeling when you think you've made a point clearly enough and nobody quite gets what you're saying . . . Sometimes it's just better to drop it.

I think I'll inspect the remaining contents of my lunchbox: just got a slightly warm cheese sandwich - no biscuits. :(

But the kettle beckons. And the dark storm clouds of work thunder ominously. I think I ought to go out more - might try cycling even. :D

CassidyAce":2gndkvob said:
If Lancia had produced a sports car that looked a bit like a Lotus and called it the Esprit Lotus18 . . . Hmmm. You know that feeling when you think you've made a point clearly enough and nobody quite gets what you're saying . . . Sometimes it's just better to drop it.

I think I'll inspect the remaining contents of my lunchbox: just got a slightly warm cheese sandwich - no biscuits. :(

But the kettle beckons. And the dark storm clouds of work thunder ominously. I think I ought to go out more - might try cycling even. :D

But they werent copying anyone. Its a specific type of design.

Unlike:

0_shanghai_cc_cj.jpg

Latest posts

Back